[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PCTools Ver. 6

kwan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Gordon Kwan) (01/30/91)

I just heard that PC Tools Version 6 is out. Does anyone know what are the
enhancements/differences in this new versions ? And, is Central Point going
to allow owners of Version 5 to upgrade to Versions 6 (I have not received anything yet, and I am registered) ?

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.020918.3321@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, kwan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Gordon Kwan) writes...
>I just heard that PC Tools Version 6 is out. Does anyone know what are the
>enhancements/differences in this new versions ? And, is Central Point going
>to allow owners of Version 5 to upgrade to Versions 6 (I have not received anything yet, and I am registered) ?

I dunno about version five, but I used version 4.2 *EXTENSIVELY*
and so bought version 6 for my company, which I promptly put
back in the box and threw in a hole and buried!

They *HAD* a (very) good thing, and made it overly complex
and *SLOW*.

It seems that most window-type applications are slow as dogs
(even the real X11 systems are slow - and just look at windows!)

Anyway 4.2 was great. Only drawback was that you couldn't
RUN an application with poin-and-shoot utility. So in 6
they made it an entire operating system SHELL, that no longer
can fit conveniently on a floppy, and is very cumbersome.

hmmmmmmm....they were *SO* close to greatness

st

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (01/31/91)

>(Gordon Kwan)
>I just heard that PC Tools Version 6 is out. Does anyone know what are the
>enhancements/differences in this new versions ? And, is Central Point going
>to allow owners of Version 5 to upgrade to Versions 6
>(I have not received anything yet, and I am registered) ?

V6 has been out for a year. If you were a registered V5 user you should
have gotten an update notice a long time ago. Give Central Point a call.
The major enhancement is PCBackup supports tape drives. Otherwise
it's mainly a slew of minor enhancements. They changed the disk cache
for the worst. It's now slower but has some more options.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

tfarmer@cavebbs.gen.nz (Thomas Farmer) (01/31/91)

In article <56814@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jan30.020918.3321@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, kwan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Gordon Kwan) writes...
>>I just heard that PC Tools Version 6 is out. Does anyone know what are the
>>enhancements/differences in this new versions ? And, is Central Point going
>>to allow owners of Version 5 to upgrade to Versions 6 (I have not received anything yet, and I am registered) ?
>
>I dunno about version five, but I used version 4.2 *EXTENSIVELY*
>and so bought version 6 for my company, which I promptly put
>back in the box and threw in a hole and buried!

Interesting, I had version 4.3 and got version 5 and then 5.5 which
I promptly dumped.

But version 6 I like again. I don't run the yucky shell that comes with
it, but just put the file utility a hot-key away. It's similar in
quality to Xtree Gold but can be TSRed... (Which I don't think can?)

Version 6 has some very nice features... Worth getting in my opinion.
--
** Mail to: sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   Or phone +64-4-796-306   **
**       I live in a sane society, I don't need a disclaimer.        **

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (01/31/91)

>(Danny Low)
>>(Gordon Kwan)
>>I just heard that PC Tools Version 6 is out. Does anyone know what are the
>>enhancements/differences in this new versions ? And, is Central Point going
>
>The major enhancement is PCBackup supports tape drives. Otherwise
------------------------
The improvement I like the best is that incremental backups don't have to
be on seperate disks. Youi can keep using the same disk till its full.
		-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

als@hpwarqp.hp.com (Al Sherman) (02/07/91)

 tfarmer@cavebbs.gen.nz (Thomas Farmer) writes:
>>>I just heard that PC Tools Version 6 is out. Does anyone know what are the
>>>enhancements/differences in this new versions ? And, is Central Point going
>>>to allow owners of Version 5 to upgrade to Versions 6 (I have not received anything yet, and I am registered) ?
>>
>>I dunno about version five, but I used version 4.2 *EXTENSIVELY*
>
>But version 6 I like again. ...........

Same here.  I have filled in some of its deficiencies by adding my preferred
applications to the pull-down menu,  including PCTOOLS 4.2, Buerg's List,
and my favorite text editor.

One thing to beware.. Some early revs of PC-Tools V6 are buggy.  I can
recommend revs 5/02/90 or later.  If you have earlier versions, I'd yell
for a bug-fix upgrade.

Al Sherman
Hewlett-Packard Company
Waltham, MA