[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Multiple screens on a PC

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (02/07/91)

In <1991Feb6.072521.7300@cside1.uucp> kuyper@cside1.uucp (Kuyper Hoffman) writes:

>I am looking for some info related to hooking up multiple screens to
>a single unix host.  The requirements are atleast one VGA (ie
>console), one colour terminal and one monochrome terminal.  In the
>long run it is anticipated that all the screens should be VGA and
>all be capable of graphics.

Well SCO support this out of the box, assuming you have two different
video boards in your machine (i.e. VGA and a MONO).  Your multi-screens
are automatically split between the two screens.

>In this last option we have seen is a MultiVideo-VGA board advertized
>in Byte's European section (I think) from a German company called
>IGEL.  Does anyone have an e-mail address for these guys?  They
>describe a board that pops into your bus and carries four lines to a
>keyboard and VGA monitor.  No indication is given as to which
>versions of UNIX are supported, although they mention VP/ix so I
>guess Interactive is one of the supported brands.

There is a local crowd that distribute something called the un-terminal
which is basically a board that goes into your UNIX box and you have
long cables with a distribution box that a standard VGA monitor, bus mouse
and standard AT Keyboard plug into.  It is mainly aimed at the X-windows
(i.e. SCO Open Desktop) market.  If you are REALLY interested, I can find
the name of the company concerned.

>In the interim, who knows of any UNIX-supported colour terminals
>that can be run over standard serial ports and that don't cost and
>arm and several other limbs?

Mhh you can always get Sun River terminals which are full VGA and run
on fiber-optic cables, but they probably cost more than your host :-)

Cheers

Aris
--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
     - UNIX is like pickled herring - Nobody thinks it's any good -