[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WANTED: NFS client software for PC's

mjs@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu (Mike Schmelzer) (02/05/91)

The subject line says it all.
We've got a Sun Sparcstation that we'd like to use as a file server for 9 PC's.
Seeing as how NFS is an "open standard," and seeing as how Sun wants $195
per PC (after a substantial discount) for their PC-NFS product, I thought
I should ask and see if there are any 3rd party (or even Public Domain)
versions of NFS for the IBM-PC. We'd only need it for files, not for printing
or anything else.

BTW, if there's some easier/cheaper way to do this (perhaps Novell),
PUH-LEEZ let me know. I would prefer something that requires as little
babysitting as possible (seeing as how I'm gonna be the babysitter :-)

Thanks!
- Mike
--
==== Mike Schmelzer, UW Genetix, mjs@genetics.wisc.edu, (608)263-7459. ===
==== Since most people are idiots, try not to agree with anyone. - Me ====

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (02/06/91)

mjs@behemoth.genetics.wisc.edu (Mike Schmelzer) writes:

>The subject line says it all.
>We've got a Sun Sparcstation that we'd like to use as a file server for 9 PC's.
>Seeing as how NFS is an "open standard," and seeing as how Sun wants $195
>per PC (after a substantial discount) for their PC-NFS product, I thought
>I should ask and see if there are any 3rd party (or even Public Domain)
>versions of NFS for the IBM-PC. We'd only need it for files, not for printing
>or anything else.

I don't know of a public domain one, and the only other commercial offering
I've seen, from FTP software, is more expensive yet.  (For commercial sites.
Their number is 617-246-9000 if you want to call and ask about academic
discounts; I don't know about them.)

Please post anything you get on this; I'm sure many of us would be
interested.  Thanks.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (02/07/91)

We use Beame & Whiteside NFS.
No protection.
Can buy unbundled.
Site license avail.
Cheaper than PC-NFS.
Works with Windows.
Uses less memory.
Faster.

Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (02/07/91)

I forgot to give the phone number for Beame & Whiteside NFS.

(416) 648-6556

Dale Frye