[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Clipper & TTS ?

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (02/01/91)

With all this talk about converting Clipper for use on a network ... I would
like to know how I can make Clipper perform TTS (Transaction Tracking)?  In
other words, roll-back a transactions (ie.  REPLACE ALL FIELD WITH 0) when the
workstation that issued the command reboots in the middle of the REPLACE.

Also, if TTS is available on Clipper; can I turn on a transaction and turn it
off.  In other words, turn on TTS ... perform several commands ... and turn off
TTS; making all the "several commands" look like a single transaction.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (02/04/91)

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:

>With all this talk about converting Clipper for use on a network ... I would
>like to know how I can make Clipper perform TTS (Transaction Tracking)?  In
>other words, roll-back a transactions (ie.  REPLACE ALL FIELD WITH 0) when the
>workstation that issued the command reboots in the middle of the REPLACE.

You cannot, in the sense that Clipper itself would rollback an aborted
transaction. You would have to manually program this type of feature into
any software you develop, via a journal file or some other method.

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / They're not "bombs".
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  They're "gifts".

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb3.205014.4853@anomaly.SBS.COM> mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>
>>With all this talk about converting Clipper for use on a network ... I would
>>like to know how I can make Clipper perform TTS (Transaction Tracking)?  In
>>other words, roll-back a transactions (ie.  REPLACE ALL FIELD WITH 0) when the
>>workstation that issued the command reboots in the middle of the REPLACE.
>
>You cannot, in the sense that Clipper itself would rollback an aborted
>transaction. You would have to manually program this type of feature into
>any software you develop, via a journal file or some other method.

The job can probably be made significantly easier with NetLib (a Novell
network / Clipper library) from Communications Horizons.  They support the
Novell TTS stuff.

tom