[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] NDOSEDIT type utility that works with multiple Windows 3.0 DOS boxes??

glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) (02/01/91)

When I have two or more DOS boxes running in WINDOWS 3.0 at the same time and I
UP-Arrow NDOSEDIT, Windows gets very upset and terminates my DOS Box(s).

Is there a Dos Command Line Editor that is Windows 3.0 DOS Box compatible?

THanks

Glenn Boozer
glenn@imagen.com

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (02/01/91)

/ glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) /  2:28 am  Feb  1, 1991 /
$
$ Is there a Dos Command Line Editor that is Windows 3.0 DOS Box compatible?
$
YEAP ! But may not exactly what you want. 4DOS which replaces the
entire COMMAND.COM shell works just fine. And the command recall
feature is there --- together with aliases and file name completion
stuff.

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

neil@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Neil Erdwien) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Jan31.182859.26865@imagen.com> glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) writes:
>When I have two or more DOS boxes running in WINDOWS 3.0 at the same time and I
>UP-Arrow NDOSEDIT, Windows gets very upset and terminates my DOS Box(s).
>
>Is there a Dos Command Line Editor that is Windows 3.0 DOS Box compatible?
>
>THanks
>
>Glenn Boozer
>glenn@imagen.com

The problem is that the command editor is being confused because it it being used
from two separate windows.  Both CED and PC Mag's CMDEDIT have the same "problem".

The solution is to follow Microsoft's advice and not load such TSRs in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  Instead, create a batch file that loads the TSR and then runs
COMMAND.COM.  [I believe there is a parameter needed to make COMMAND.COM enter
its interactive mode.  /C?  I'm not at my micro, so I can't check.]

Next, make the DOS icon in the program manager run the batch file, and you're set.
--
Neil Erdwien
Kansas State University

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Jan31.182859.26865@imagen.com> glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) writes:
>When I have two or more DOS boxes running in WINDOWS 3.0 at the same time and I
>UP-Arrow NDOSEDIT, Windows gets very upset and terminates my DOS Box(s).
>
>Is there a Dos Command Line Editor that is Windows 3.0 DOS Box compatible?

Get 4DOS. It is a COMMAND.COM replacement that eliminates the need
for programs like DOSEDIT, CED, ANARKEY... And it is smaller and has more
powerful commands than command.com as well (while being compatible).

4DOS works just fine in multiple WINDOWS 3.0 Windows (I am doing it just
this minute).

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com <<< Note new address