[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Connor/Maxtor MTBF?

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) (02/08/91)

Does anyone know the MTBF specs for the 200meg Connor 3204 and the
Maxtor 200meg IDE drives?

Any idea how reliability compares between these two drives?

   Lee Bollard                     unix:  bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               HPDesk:  Lee BOLLARD / HP1000/53
   Spokane Division          Compuserve:  72105,423
   (509)921-4608         * Opinions are my own, not my employer's *

ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) (02/09/91)

In article <8750004@hpspkla.spk.hp.com> bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) writes:
>Does anyone know the MTBF specs for the 200meg Connor 3204 and the
>Maxtor 200meg IDE drives?
>
>Any idea how reliability compares between these two drives?

For those of you who are looking for high reliability in a larger drive, take
note of the Fujitsu M2261 drives.  I just installed one in my AT Clone,
after wearing out a CDC WREN 40 meg, then a CONNOR 106 meg drive.  I was tired
of buying/replacing drives. Fujitsu advertises a 5 year warranty and
200,000 hr. MTBF.

The factory repair/refurbishment fees for Maxtor, CDC, and Connor are nearly
the (discounted) cost of new drives, and the warranty on a factory refurbished
drive was pretty short too.  My CDC drive *Just* outlived the 6-mo. warranty
I got, and the turnaround time was about 6 weeks.  The last drive I thought
about getting the factory to repair was the Connor, but their price is high,
and the turnaround time was terrible too.

Fujitsu offers a 5 year warranty on the drive I just bought.  350+ meg, full-
height 5 1/4" ESDI drive, also available in larger sizes, and SCSI as well.

I talked to a lot of Fujitsu people: the warranty is just what it says...
any time within 5 years of original purchase that it fails, I can send it
in to be repaired/replaced without charge.  If I want fast turnaround, Fujitsu
will give 48 hour turnaround for $50.  I have consulted with the repair depot
(in Hillsboro, Oregon, a local call for me,) and they verified what the sales
personnel (I usually double-check claims made by sales types.) seemed to be
saying-- "We'll fix it for 5 years, just like you heard."

I got a single drive, just to test the water, for less than $1300 from
Cypress Distributors, one of two in-town distributors the Fujitsu telemarketing
person looked up in their data base.

I,ve had it in for about a month now.  Be sure to get a Technical Handbook, the
drive has a lot of jumpers you'd never guess the location of.  One good thing
about Fujitsu Techincal Support is their 800 number.

For those of you hooking up to an IBM PC, the Adaptec 2322D controller makes
a good match, and re-maps the drives 1650+ cylinders + 8 heads into "16 heads
and 682 cylinders" for DOS compatibility.

For those of us wondering how Fujitsu came up with 200,000 hour MTBF ( 22.8
years of 24 hour days???  The drives have not been made that long ago!) I
asked a local reliability engineer, who confirmed that Fujitsu's calculation
"200,000 hours (after an initial 3-month period.) Measured as total hours
when power is on divided by the number of equipment failures from all field
sites." (Quoted from the technical handbook shipped with the drive, page 4-4.)
is the way MTBF is commonly calculated.  He also said that the MTBF figures
for equipment are valid only within the "useable lifetime of the device", which
accounts for the "initial 3-month" disclaimer.  In other words, a device with
a useable life of 5.001 years could have a 22.8 year MTBF!

Ralph Carpenter
Thermal Engineering Group
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR

Usual Disclaimers... My opinions are just that, Tektronix did not authorize
me to post this, and I have no connection with Fujitsu, Adaptec, etc.