[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Animation in Win 3.0?

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (02/10/91)

I have an MS-DOS application that I'm considering porting to MS-Windows 3.0.
The application uses the 2 page mode of EGA/VGA cards to do animation.  In
other words, the program draws to a non-visible page, then makes that page
visible, and while that page is displayed, draws the next frame to the
non-visible page, etc.

Anyway this results in fairly crisp animation...

My question:  how is this done in Windows 3.0?  Will Windows use double-
buffered graphics if an EGA or VGA card is in use?  Or will it do a
software bitblt?

In other words:  is it possible to do crisp animations that involve the
entire screen?

Terrell

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.182402.24992@isis.cs.du.edu> ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) writes:

>I have an MS-DOS application that I'm considering porting to MS-Windows 3.0.
>The application uses the 2 page mode of EGA/VGA cards to do animation.  In
>other words, the program draws to a non-visible page, then makes that page
>visible, and while that page is displayed, draws the next frame to the
>non-visible page, etc.
>
>Anyway this results in fairly crisp animation...
>
>My question:  how is this done in Windows 3.0?

It isn't

>Will Windows use double-
>buffered graphics if an EGA or VGA card is in use?  Or will it do a
>software bitblt?

The latter.

>In other words:  is it possible to do crisp animations that involve the
>entire screen?

Not in general.

Doug McDonald

Closer folks, closer. This posting is brought to you direct from a
Dell 310 running Microsoft Windows in 386 enhanced mode running the
native MS-DOS program "snuz", an NNTP News reader/poster and mail poster.
Snuz can now be hopefully declared "beta test" rather than "alpha test".