[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MS_SH under Windows?

ecc@CS.CMU.EDU (Eric Cooper) (02/05/91)

I am having trouble running MS_SH v1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286
machine; the shell comes up, but then the machine hangs when I try to
run a command.

If anyone has run this successfully, can you tell me what your
configuration looks like?

Otherwise, does anyone know of another UNIX-like shell that runs well
under Windows?

	Professor Eric C. Cooper
	School of Computer Science
	Carnegie Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213-3890

	Internet: ecc@cs.cmu.edu
	   Phone: +1 412 268 3734
	     FAX: +1 412 681 5739

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (02/10/91)

ecc@CS.CMU.EDU (Eric Cooper) writes:

>I am having trouble running MS_SH v1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286
>machine; the shell comes up, but then the machine hangs when I try to
>run a command.

I can guarantee a hangup under the same conditions if I swap to
extended memory from ms_sh.  If by chance you execute 'swap extend'
in any of your profile files at startup, change it to something else.

I run ms_sh 1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286 box successfully using
'swap disk' to swap to a RAM disk or 'swap off' to not swap at all.

cheers
Rick Low
+1 613 957 9500
mitel!melair!low@uunet.uu.net