[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Norton S.I. 3.1 is cheating!

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/01/91)

Well, well.  In playing around with the optional oscillator slot on
my 386SX motherboard, I found something very interesting with
Norton S.I. 3.1 program.

To make sure that the oscillators (32MHz, 35MHz, and 40MHz for
16MHz, 17.5MHz, and 20MHz operations respectively) are all working
properly, I wrote a SPEED program in assembler.  This is the
readings I am getting:

Operation     Oscillator       Norton S.I. 3.1           SPEED
=========     ==========       ===============           =====
  8.0MHz                            7.1                    7.1
 16.0MHz         32MHz             15.3                   14.6
 17.5MHz         35MHz             15.3                   15.7

Notice that at 16MHz and 17.5MHz, both Norton S.I. 3.1 returned
15.3 whereas my SPEED program returned the correct proportional
increase from 14.6 to 15.7.  I suspect that Norton has a
table built-in.  Parameters of the table include type of
machine (e.g. 286, 386DX, 386SX, etc), standard
cpu speed (e.g. 8MHz, 10MHz, 12MHz, 16MHz, 20MHz, etc).
The program found that 17.5MHz is closer to 16MHz than
20MHz, so it returned the 16MHz number.  Anybody has
any idea?  (my SPEED program uses LOOP command to delay against
the clock retrieve from INT 1ah).

E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb1.054859.7614@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>To make sure that the oscillators (32MHz, 35MHz, and 40MHz for
>16MHz, 17.5MHz, and 20MHz operations respectively) are all working
>properly, I wrote a SPEED program in assembler.  This is the
>readings I am getting:
>
>Operation     Oscillator       Norton S.I. 3.1           SPEED
>=========     ==========       ===============           =====
>  8.0MHz                            7.1                    7.1
> 16.0MHz         32MHz             15.3                   14.6
> 17.5MHz         35MHz             15.3                   15.7
>
>Notice that at 16MHz and 17.5MHz, both Norton S.I. 3.1 returned
>15.3 whereas my SPEED program returned the correct proportional
>increase from 14.6 to 15.7.  I suspect that Norton has a
>table built-in.  Parameters of the table include type of
>machine (e.g. 286, 386DX, 386SX, etc), standard
>cpu speed (e.g. 8MHz, 10MHz, 12MHz, 16MHz, 20MHz, etc).
>The program found that 17.5MHz is closer to 16MHz than
>20MHz, so it returned the 16MHz number.  Anybody has
>any idea?  (my SPEED program uses LOOP command to delay against
>the clock retrieve from INT 1ah).
>E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)

While I can not explain the nature of your readings, I use Norton
4.5's SI.  In raw mode, my machine gives 26.6-27.1 Computing Index,
I figure depending upon what "mood" :-) the computer is in.  Under
Windows 3.0 I have experimented with going to the dos shell and
running SI, getting all sorts of readings depending upon what
I had running and what "mood" Windows was in.  I think it does
an accurate check on computing power.  The disk index also gives
a good indication of how good a HD cache is running.  Windows
Smartdrive jumps mine from 3.6 to 9.5.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |