[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Sage Professional editor

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (02/07/91)

Has anyone used the Sage Professional Editor (advertised in Dr. Dobbs)?
I'd be interested in your opinions, especially how it compares with other
editors such as vi and brief.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

jrs@Unify.com (John R. Scanlon) (02/09/91)

In article <4684@gumby.Altos.COM>, jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner)
writes:

> Has anyone used the Sage Professional Editor (advertised in Dr.
Dobbs)?
> I'd be interested in your opinions, especially how it compares with
other
> editors such as vi and brief.

I used the first version of this software last year.  Overall, I really
liked it
because we had people using all different editors, like brief, epsilon,
and vi.
The nice part about SPE is that you can switch it to emulate any of
these editors
with a keystroke.  I used the vi emulation the most.  It had some bugs,
but since
the source for the emulation is provided with SPE, I fixed most of them
myself and
sent the code to Sage.  Most editing operations are fast, but sometimes
I felt like
the interpretor for the emulator slowed certain operatoins down.
Also, at the time, they didn't have any tags facility.

Good luck

John

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (02/12/91)

In article <4684@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@altos.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:

>Has anyone used the Sage Professional Editor (advertised in Dr. Dobbs)?
>I'd be interested in your opinions, especially how it compares with other
>editors such as vi and brief.

We use Sage as a quasi-"offical" editor in our little development group
here.  It is a fine product, especially if you have used BRIEF.  It's
most notable plus over BRIEF is extensive mouse support.  (We all use
the BRIEF emulation mode - if you are masochistic, vi emulation is
also provided :-)  )

Also, Sage can tie in directly to Polytron's PVCS version control
software.  (Polytron now sells Sage, in case it is unclear.)

HOWEVER, Sage's printed documentation just does not compare to BRIEF.
(If you are already a BRIEF user, and choose BRIEF emulation, this
is not a big deal.)  Also, converting BRIEF LISP-like macros to the
Sage AWK-like language via their conversion utility is much harder
than their lit would make it seem.  Also, some people suggest that Sage
is a good dealer slower than BRIEF, especially when running complex
language extensions.  And, their AWK-like language documentation
is also minimal, suggesting at times to refer to "The AWK Programming
Language" book.  (Not what I would consider "complete" docs.)
And, when you get v. 1.1, prepare to spend an hour scribbling corrections
and additions from the "README" file into the massive, yet terse,
language reference manual.

Sage has a toll-free info number at 1-800-547-4000.  Also, their
BBS is apparently open to anyone.  You can get the BBS number
from the 800 number, and, if you are really into it, log on and
see what kind of postings other real users have placed.

Just my personal opinions, and not any sort of official endorsement.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108