[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Grammer Checkers

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (02/07/91)

Does anyone have recommendations regarding the best Grammer checker for an IB
PC?

Thanks,
                                       _                  _
                                      ( )                ( )
                                  /\__/~\-/______________/~\-/_/\
                                 |   ----/-----sawyer-------/-   |
   _______________________________\_____/__________________/____/_____________
  |Jeff Sorvik (jps@msc.edu)      | "He is no fool who gives up that which    |
  |Technical Editor               | he cannot keep for that which he cannot   |
  |                               | lose."                                    |
  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center |                     -Jim Elliot           |

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (02/08/91)

In article <3453@uc.msc.umn.edu>, jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes...
>Does anyone have recommendations regarding the best Grammer checker for an IB
>PC?
I used Right Writer for a while. I hated everything about it

It was capable of checking your grammar, but I wrote
Engineering reports with various word processors.

Right Write thought that all the Engineering terms were "jargon"
and always reported that my writing style (due to that) was
in the toilet. Although, I am herein scribbling things as I
think them (somewhat disjointed thoughts), I have extensive
eductaion in writing, and felt my writing style was fair to
good.

So I have a bad taste in my mouth about right writer and recommend
against it.

st

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/08/91)

In article <3453@uc.msc.umn.edu>, jps@uh (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes:
>Does anyone have recommendations regarding the best Grammer checker ...?
                                    spelling checker, too ^

Look, folks, please do some basic research before posting these questions...
Here's the relevant paragraph from the old.questions file.

S: Grammar checker
Q: afmintz@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allan Mintz) 8 Apr 90
Q: ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) 30 Apr 90
R: dlu@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Dan Lu) 9 Apr 90
R: ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Frank) 29 Apr 90
R: steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) 3 May 90
Q: komatsu@aludra.usc.edu [Grammatik II Pro + Ami Pro. Editor] 19 May 90
Q: eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (C. Mark Eakin) [Grammatik III + WP5.0] 26 Apr 90
Q: davec@maxwell.Concordia.CA (Dave Chu) 2 Oct 90
R: dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) 9 Oct 90
R: bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) 10 Oct 90
Q: alan@pluto.dss.com (Alan Warwick) 1 Nov 90
R: clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) 3 Nov 90
>I've heard that both Grammatik and Sensible Grammar are okay.
R: boulder!bohemia!Greg.Smith (Greg Smith) 3 Nov 90

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (02/08/91)

In article <3453@uc.msc.umn.edu>, jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes:
> Does anyone have recommendations regarding the best Grammer checker for an IB
> PC?

[Jeff, if this is for real, no hard feelings, eh?]

Is this for real?  I've only been around a newsfeed for about 5 months
and in this time I've seen 3 or 4 requests *exactly* like this.

They always get (at least one) followup to the effect that maybe the poster
should also get a spelling checker.

Is this some kind of organized, banal "joke"?

[No offense intended.  Flames to /dev/nul.]

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/09/91)

In article <3453@uc.msc.umn.edu>, jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes...
>Does anyone have recommendations regarding the best Grammer checker for an IB
>PC?

Why is it that whenever someone posts a request about "Grammer Checkers"
I always conclude what that person really wants is a spelling and grammar
checker? (:-)

I use Grammatik IV, which does do both. It also can be easily configured for
your writing style.

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com <<< Note new address

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/10/91)

Both Grammatik IV and Rightwriter will perform grammar checks but they do not l
ike 3rd person tense.  I write alot of reports and sometimes I use 3rd person t
ense instead of present tense and both softwares put marks all over.(Whew.. wor
se than my 6th grade teacher. :-) )

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (02/12/91)

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) writes:

>In article <3453@uc.msc.umn.edu>, jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes...
>>Does anyone have recommendations regarding the best Grammer checker for an IB
>>PC?
>I used Right Writer for a while. I hated everything about it
>It was capable of checking your grammar, but I wrote
>Engineering reports with various word processors.

>Right Write thought that all the Engineering terms were "jargon"

Shaun, I assume that you know that RightWriter allows you to change the
reporting of many rules and to customize it's checking as well.  It
also allows you to add in dictionaries of special words like
Engineering terms.

I use both RightWriter and Grammatik.  I have found that the reports
from RightWriter help me more than those from Grammatik.

What do I do?  I design and develop university level credit courses in
Finance for delivery to students across Canada through a Distance
Education format.  So far I've written over a million words for my
students.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (02/13/91)

I use Grammatik IV occasionally. It will help you find stupid mistakes
but you still have to know the grammar rules yourself because it's
suggestions are frequently wrong. It just doesn't understand context very
well. I have found a number of places where it will recomend using a
different word, and once you change it it will recomend putting the
original word back (of course I know real editors who do that too.)

It also has a problem with dialog. It can't be convinced that '"Why?" she
asked.' is a single sentence. It insists that 'she' should be capitalized.
While I did get some value out of the program (mostly finding passive
sentences) it doesn't really find the kinds of mistakes I make.