[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Coherent UNIX - Need Opinons/Experience

ratazzie@lonex.radc.af.mil (Edward P. Ratazzi) (02/07/91)

I came across a magazine ad for a UNIX for PCs made by Coherent.  It
sounds great in the ad (of course) and costs only $99.95.  It claims to
have a C compiler, 300 UNIX commands, is multi-user, multi-tasking, etc.,
etc....

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this product?  Is it
great, good, bad, etc.?  Is this too good to be true?

--
E. Paul Ratazzi                                |      ratazzie@lonex.radc.af.mil
Microelectronics Reliability Division          |            COMPMAIL:  e.ratazzi

paul@nuchat.sccsi.com (Paul Hutmacher) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb7.155221.18595@lonex.radc.af.mil> ratazzie@lonex.radc.af.mil (Edward P. Ratazzi) writes:
>I came across a magazine ad for a UNIX for PCs made by Coherent.  It

[ ... snip ... ]

>Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this product?

I had a chance to play with it last night in fact.  One of my neighbors
purchased it and never got around to doing anything with it.  He loaned it
to me for a few days to play with with an option to buy it.

It bombed on setup.  I run a 386/25 with four meg of ram, AMI bios, and a
Seagate 124 meg IDE harder.  Coherent doesn't like IDE or AMI I've been told
since then by their tech types.  However, they've got several workarounds
and claim it will install and run as advertised.

I hope so because I'm going to give it another try and hopefully can use it
to run and read net news from one of my neighbors.  Has anyone done that
before?  How does rn run with Coherent?

--
Paul Hutmacher    | paul@nuchat.sccsi.com
P.O. Box 66046    | {uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul

als@hpwarqp.hp.com (Al Sherman) (02/13/91)

 ratazzie@lonex.radc.af.mil (Edward P. Ratazzi) writes:
>I came across a magazine ad for a UNIX for PCs made by Coherent.
>
>Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this product?  Is it
>great, good, bad, etc.?  Is this too good to be true?

 I found a file with an extensive summary of net discussion on this topic.

 I believe you can get it by anonymous ftp from math.princeton.edu
   [128.112.128.157] in the directory pub/rjc/csip.  (csip may not be correct)
    The files are compressed via
    the UNIX "compress" program (see question 1.3).  The file "directory"
    describes the contents of the directory.

    People who cannot ftp can request the files via email.  Before sending
    mail to the server, make sure you are using the instructions from the
    most recent version of this file.

    Send email to rjc@math.princeton.edu with no subject and containing
    only lines with commands.  For example if you want help, send the line:

        help

    and to get the file 'coherent' send a line:

        send coherent

    I think this is correct.  If you do wrong, you will get a help message.
    Good luck.