[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 2 PC Questions

yip@wsl.dec.com (Michael Yip (Lt Cmdr - Chief Test Pilot)) (02/08/91)

A friend of mine called me up a couple of days ago with some
problems on her XT compatible.  She is an accountant and knows
very little about computer.

She was running some kind of database and the machine hung.
The intersting thing was that she couldn't reboot again from
her hard drive immediately, but if she left it overnight or
for a period of time, she had no problem with it, and could
reboot again from the hard drive.  This happened, according
to her, a few times already.  She had no problem if she was
to reboot it from drive A and the hard disk was then accessible.

I have not had time to go visit her and looked at the machine
yet but does this all make sense that if you leave the machine
off for a while, it would reboot?  Does it sound like the fan is
not working properly cooling off the boards inside the box?

I suppose an un-related problem is why the database crashed (no
idea which one she was using at the time, as I said, I have not
had time to find out from her yet) but this sounds like a DIFFERENT
problem and has to be looked at.

Can someoen enlighten me especially on the first part of the
problem why the machine wouldn't boot up immediately after
the crash and would work later?

Thanks.

Michael E. Yip
Digital Equipment Corporation	Internet: yip@wsl.enet.dec.com
Western Software Laboratory	UUCP: ...decwrl!wsl.enet.dec.com!yip

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/08/91)

yip@wsl.dec.com (Michael Yip (Lt Cmdr - Chief Test Pilot)) writes:
>A friend of mine called me up a couple of days ago with some
>problems on her XT compatible...
>She was running some kind of database and the machine hung.
>The intersting thing was that she couldn't reboot again from
>her hard drive immediately, but if she left it overnight or
>for a period of time, she had no problem with it, and could
>reboot again from the hard drive.  This happened, according
>to her, a few times already.  She had no problem if she was
>to reboot it from drive A and the hard disk was then accessible.
>
>I have not had time to go visit her and looked at the machine
>yet but does this all make sense that if you leave the machine
>off for a while, it would reboot?  Does it sound like the fan is
>not working properly cooling off the boards inside the box?
>Michael E. Yip
>Digital Equipment Corporation	Internet: yip@wsl.enet.dec.com
>Western Software Laboratory	UUCP: ...decwrl!wsl.enet.dec.com!yip

I doubt very much that the boards are overheating, although it wouldn't
hurt to reseat them in case the heat expands a slot and causes a
bad connection between a card and the motherboard.  My suspicion is
that it has been a LONG time since she did any disk optimizing, and
over time the heads in the disk have drifted so that when the disk
has run for a while the slight expansion in the disk causes the heads
to misalign with the sectors.

Have her back up the files onto floppies with copy or xcopy, then
low level format the disk and reinstall the operating system, then
put the files back on.  By using the "copy" or "xcopy" command, the
files will then be written back on the disk in contiguous sectors
and therefore her hard drive will be automatically optimized.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.043253.22719@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>yip@wsl.dec.com (Michael Yip (Lt Cmdr - Chief Test Pilot)) writes:
>>A friend of mine called me up a couple of days ago with some
>>problems on her XT compatible...
  ... (basically, her hard disk periodically refuses to boot)...

>... My suspicion is
>that it has been a LONG time since she did any disk optimizing, and
>over time the heads in the disk have drifted so that when the disk
>has run for a while the slight expansion in the disk causes the heads
>to misalign with the sectors.
>
>Have her back up the files onto floppies with copy or xcopy, then
>low level format the disk and reinstall the operating system, then
>put the files back on.  By using the "copy" or "xcopy" command, the
>files will then be written back on the disk in contiguous sectors
>and therefore her hard drive will be automatically optimized.

A couple of comments:

First, I've had this problem myself.  After about
2 years, the heads on a some hard drives seem to slowly lose their
mechanical alignment, so the disk has trouble finding sectors,
particularly when booting.  Backing up (twice is a good idea if you've
got the patience) and doing a low-level reformat, so the tracks and
various marks are in the positions the heads expect to find them in
their current mechanical alignment, does seem to cure this sort of
problem.

Second, for goodness' sake don't bother using copy or xcopy to
do your backup.  I don't know of *any* DOS backup utility, either the
MSDOS standard or any of the various independently supplied ones (e.g.
Mace, Fastback, PC-Tools, ...) that actually does an image backup when
backing up to a floppy.  They *all* read and write a file at a time.  It
doesn't look that way on the backup disks because they stick the
information from each file to the tail end of the information of the
preceding file, and use their own internal indexing to keep track of
where one ends and the next begins.  Doing a backup and restore with any
of these programs will lead to all files being contiguous on the hard
disk, and will be a lot less trouble than using copy or xcopy.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au
--
//DUXYZY01 JOB DU.D00.AA1234,ALFORD
// EXEC PGM=IEBCOPY

akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) (02/12/91)

Why not use COPY and XCOPY for backups?

The problem seems to me to be a power supply problem. Although a problem
from a hard drive is also likely I suppose. But I never had a drive
problem in the last 10 years. <BW>

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (02/13/91)

In article <27b7287b-245f.2comp.ibmpc-1@point.UUCP> akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) writes:
>Why not use COPY and XCOPY for backups?

What happens when you want to back up files that are larger than the
drive you are backing up to......

matt crowd.