[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What is best password protection available?

umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) (02/13/91)

	What is the best security measures a person can take to protect
their DATA on the IBM AT from unauthorized access?  Wether it be PD or
commercial?

Thanks,
Jason

ragnarok@buhub.bradley.edu (Matthew Lathrum) (02/13/91)

In <1991Feb12.173456.534@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) writes:

>	What is the best security measures a person can take to protect
>their DATA on the IBM AT from unauthorized access?  Wether it be PD or
>commercial?

There are commercial programs out that will let you encrypt your data or
even encrypt your directory so peole can't get in without the password.
Also, you can pkzip it and use the encrypter with that.....

--
INTERNET:
ragnarok@buhub.bradley.edu     OR

jackm@agcsun.UUCP (Jack Morrison) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.173456.534@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umsmigie@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jason Smigiel) writes:
>	What is the best security measures a person can take to protect
>their DATA on the IBM AT from unauthorized access?  Wether it be PD or
>commercial?

Not to be facetious, but consider saving the data on floppy disk, remove the
floppy and lock it up. Physical security is usually best.

Keep in mind that if you copy the data to a hard disk to work on it, just
deleting the file after copying back to a floppy doesn't necessarily prevent
someone from recovering the data. There are utility programs (Norton's, for
example) that overwrite the contents of a file to make sure it can't be
recovered. (In a goverment classified computing facility, I remember being
required to overwrite disks 3 times before it was considered safe.)

--
"How am I typing?  Call 1-303-279-1300"     Jack C. Morrison
Ampex Video Systems    581 Conference Place, Golden CO 80401