[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PCX file Format

gt3635a@prism.gatech.EDU (Greg Bishop) (02/12/91)

Hi, this is the first time I have ever used these newsgroups so please if you
want to flame me, send it to me here at /dev/null, otherwise (for instance if
you have a comment), mail me at gt3635a@prism.gatech.edu.

Anyway on with the question...

I am working on a windows program to load in a PCX file (why windows uses PCX
instead of GIF format I'll never know), but I need to find out how the data is
stored in a PCX file and have been having lots-o-problems finding a reference.

If someone could point me in the right direction (or send me the complete
file format) I'd appreciate it.

-Greg Bishop
gt3635a@prism.gatech.edu

Also please note my newsfeed and posting machine do not intersect on these
groups so pleas mail me at my mailing address (above).

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.052421.2338@vpnet.chi.il.us>, cgordon@vpnet (gordon hlavenka) writes:
>This should probably be in a FAQ someplace...

Actually, it *is* in a FAQ someplace.

[$Id: csip.faq 4.14 91/02/01 16:23:45 raymond Exp Locker: raymond $]

3.3)  What are the GIF, TIFF, BGI, PCX, OBJ, EXE file formats?  ...

    SIMTEL20 has GIF, TIFF and BGI file formats, as well as the Borland BGI
    toolkit (also available from Borland).  The formats for .OBJ and .EXE
    files can be found in the MS-DOS Encyclopedia.  The PCX file format can
    be obtained from ZSoft (their address is in the old.questions file)....

The old.questions file says

S: File format, PCX
R: elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott) 8 May 90
R: cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) 6 Jun 90