[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 4DOS vs. COMMAND.COM

george@moocow.uucp (George Tirebiter) (02/11/91)

I've been seeing a number of posts where a replacement for COMMAND.COM
called 4DOS is mentioned.  Has anybody had any positive or negative
experiences they'd like to share?  Is 4DOS more than a command-line
recall and batch file enhancer?  What's the latest version?

Thanks in advance,

  ..George Tirebiter, American.

MADIF@ROHVM1.BITNET (Jim Foster) (02/12/91)

In article <2uB8w1@moocow.uucp>, george@moocow.uucp (George Tirebiter) says:

>I've been seeing a number of posts where a replacement for COMMAND.COM
>called 4DOS is mentioned.  Has anybody had any positive or negative
>experiences they'd like to share?  Is 4DOS more than a command-line
>recall and batch file enhancer?  What's the latest version?

I've just started experimenting with it.  So far I've found one
incompatability when running Extra! for Windows through a Token-ring DLC
connection.  It just doesn't seem to work.  Other than that, it seems to
be an very nice package.
--
Jim Foster - MADIF@ROHVM1.BITNET    DoD #142            Rohm and Haas Company
Systems Programmer                  1984 NightHawk-S    Independence Mall West

tony@mantis.co.uk (Tony Lezard) (02/13/91)

george@moocow.uucp (George Tirebiter) writes:

> I've been seeing a number of posts where a replacement for COMMAND.COM
> called 4DOS is mentioned.  Has anybody had any positive or negative
> experiences they'd like to share?  Is 4DOS more than a command-line
> recall and batch file enhancer?  What's the latest version?

I'm funning 4DOS version 3.02a and have nothing but praise for 4DOS. I've
never seen anyone on the net grumbling about it either. I haven't found
anything it's not compatible with.

It is more than "a command-line recall and batch file enhancer" but it can
be used as such if you want to.

Here's a list of notable features, lifted from my 4DOS manual:

* Minimal memory usage (less than 4K RAM (less than 1K with XMS swapping))
  Can use EMS, XMS or disk swapping for transient portion.

* Fast batch files (.BTM "Batch To Memory" files)

* Executable extensions (eg typing a document name could start its editor.)

* On-line help. Good too.

* Command line editing and history. Very useful.

* Better wildcarding (eg *A*.* matches anything with an A in it)

* File descriptions (Up to 40 chars of description displayed after each
  filename when you do a DIR.)

* Multiple commands on a single line (Separated by ^)

* Can use environment variables much more flexibly

* Command aliases (also supporting multiple commands, batch file-like
  arguments (%1, %2 etc))

* 255 chars command line

* Additional redirection options (T and Y "pipe fittings")

* EGA/VGA support.

And it's also shareware so you can try it out for a few weeks without paying
to see if you like it.

--
Tony Lezard.  E-mail: tony@mantis.co.uk, Snail: Mantis Consultants,
Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge, CB4 4WS, United Kingdom.

simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) (02/14/91)

In article <2uB8w1@moocow.uucp> george@moocow.uucp (George Tirebiter) writes:
>I've been seeing a number of posts where a replacement for COMMAND.COM
>called 4DOS is mentioned.  Has anybody had any positive or negative
>experiences they'd like to share?  Is 4DOS more than a command-line
>recall and batch file enhancer?  What's the latest version?

Some friends of mine at work got a shareware copy of 4DOS, tried it
for a few days, and immediately sent in their registration fees!
I was skeptical, but tried it myself and I did the same thing --
I've been using 4DOS for several months now, and I really wouldn't
want to go back to using COMMAND.COM.
  4DOS is MUCH more than just a command-line recall and batch file
enhancer.  It enhances most of the internal DOS commands (while
using DOS for the external commands).  Several of the features I
haven't used much yet, but some of my favorite features are:

  * 4DOS can load most of itself into extended or expanded memory,
    so that I have more conventional memory available than with
    COMMAND.COM.
  * Built-in HELP command in case you forget the syntax of a 4DOS
    or DOS command (includes handy ASCII and ANSI tables).
  * Recalls many recent command lines instead of just one, like
    COMMAND.COM.
  * Built-in text file browser (LIST)
  * "Aliases" let you customize DOS commands by naming command lines
    or sets of command lines with alias names.  Aliases can even be
    like short programs.
  * VASTLY improved DIR command with MANY more switches to sort
    files according to date, file name, extension, etc.  DIR may
    be customized with an alias if desired (in case you want DIR
    to act like DIR/P, for example).
  * SELECT and EXCEPT commands are nice.  SELECT gives you a
    menu of file names when you type something like:
                  SELECT DEL (*.*)
    so that you can choose which files to delete from the menu.
    EXCEPT allows you to, for example, delete all files except
    your .PAS files with:
                  EXCEPT (*.PAS) DEL *.*
  * You can specify multiple file names on the command line, like
              DEL *.PAS *.C *.FOR

These are the features I use most, but it does a lot more (display
file descriptions with DIR listings, greatly enhanced COPY command,
command logging, PUSHing and POPing DOS directories on a directory
stack, UNIX-like Y and TEE I/O pipes, etc., etc.).  It works fine
with my MS-DOS 4.01 and 80 Mb hard disk, BTW.
  I don't work for these guys, but I HIGHLY recommend 4DOS,
especially for DOS "power users" who need to do things like I
described above.  Shareware versions of 4DOS are available for
$6 (US, $7 Canada, $10 others) from:

                   J.P. Software
                   P.O. Box 1470
                   E. Arlington, MA  02174
                   (800) 368-8777

The registered version is $50 plus $4, $5, or $10 shipping.
(I know all this stuff because my registered version (with manual)
just came today.)  Enjoy!

                                 David Simpson

randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) (02/14/91)

I would just like to agree with those calling 4dos the best thing since
sliced bread.  It's wonderful.

A previous poster already listed most of the features of 4dos, so I won't
bore you here.  Just let me point out that it gives you enough tools to
make your own UNIX look-alike.

For instance,
	alias ls dir /w

Now the command
	ls a*b c*d.bat
works just like you'd expect.  In dos, the
argument a*b is the same as the argument a*.  But in4dos, a*b is what
you'd expect, words that start with 'a' and end in 'b'.  Also,
the output of dir is sorted alphabetically, like UNIX's ls.  Finally,
the dir command in 4dos allows multiple file descriptions, just like
ls.

This is only one use.  But all in all, 4dos is WONDERFUL!!!!!!

-Randy

My feelings on George Bush's promises:
	"You have just exceeded the gulibility threshold!"