[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SOUND - TURNING OFF

cook@darwin.ntu.edu.au ([Massbuster] Northern Territory University) (02/13/91)

HI

I HAVE AN IBM-AT COMPATIBLE AND LOTS OF GAMES THAT INSIST ON MAKING A HEAP OF
NOISE (THUS ATTRACTING THE ATTENTION OF EVERYONE IN THE OFFICE)

DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY THAT I CAN DISABLE THE SPEAKER (WITHOUT CUTTING THE
WIRE) SUCH THAT I CAN PLAY THESE GAMES WITHOUT ANNOYING OTHERS ??
--

THANKS MUCHLY

Robbie Cook
Northern Territory University
Darwin AUSTRALIA

addr : cook@darwin.ntu.edu.au

"He trudged along, unknowing what he sought, and whistled as he went,
 for want of a thought" - Dryden

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) (02/14/91)

Robbie Cook writes (in annoying caps):

	about disabling your speaker

Well, what I did is this:  I got some 20 guage wire, and a toggle
switch from Radio Shack.  Put the switch on the + wire between
the source and the speaker terminal, with enough space to run
the switch to the back.  Then I drilled an appropriate hole in
one of the plates covering an empty slot, and installed the switch.
It looks great, and is terrific in those situations where the
speaker just starts wailing away.  I would have put in a variable
resisitor as a volume control, but I was afraid the added impedence
would burn out my speaker chip.  Cheers,

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|                                                         | Mike Stangel |
|            In memory of John Bardeen...                 |  m-stangel@  |
|                                                         |   uiuc.edu   |
`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.132420.603@darwin.ntu.edu.au> cook@darwin.ntu.edu.au ([Massbuster] Northern Territory University) writes:
>HI
>
>I HAVE AN IBM-AT COMPATIBLE AND LOTS OF GAMES THAT INSIST ON MAKING A HEAP OF
>NOISE (THUS ATTRACTING THE ATTENTION OF EVERYONE IN THE OFFICE)
>
>DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY THAT I CAN DISABLE THE SPEAKER (WITHOUT CUTTING THE
>WIRE) SUCH THAT I CAN PLAY THESE GAMES WITHOUT ANNOYING OTHERS ??

Probably more like so you can play these games at work without your boss
finding out!! :-) :-)

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (02/14/91)

>HI
>
>I HAVE AN IBM-AT COMPATIBLE AND LOTS OF GAMES THAT INSIST ON MAKING A HEAP OF
>NOISE (THUS ATTRACTING THE ATTENTION OF EVERYONE IN THE OFFICE)
>
>DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY THAT I CAN DISABLE THE SPEAKER (WITHOUT CUTTING THE
>WIRE) SUCH THAT I CAN PLAY THESE GAMES WITHOUT ANNOYING OTHERS ??
>--

There are several programs at simtel20 that disable/enable the speaker
on the PC.  Look for silence.arc in msdos.sysutl

Regards,
Thomas Dwyer III                        Email: tomiii@mtu.edu
Network Programmer                             tomiii@mtus5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services           Voice: (906) 487-2110
Michigan Technological University       Fax:   (906) 487-2787