[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Problem retrieving archive programs via FTP

hitchen@csuvax1.csu.murdoch.edu.au (Greg Hitchen) (02/13/91)

I am using a 386sx AT (msdos) and kermit to logon to a microvax III (4.3bsd).
From the vax I am connecting via FTP to wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4)
and retrieving the file pk361.exe (self unpacking archive) onto the vax.
From there I am using kermit to transfer pk361.exe to the PC.
When I then type "pk361" ........... nothing happens! (and I then have to
reboot the PC).
Now my question is - should what I have done work? If not why? Is the problem
in the FTP retrieve to the vax or the kermit transfer to the PC?
Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

Greg

--
Greg Hitchen, School of MPS   |   Internet: hitchen@csuvax1.murdoch.edu.au
Murdoch University            |      Phone: +61 9 332 2102 (W)

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (02/13/91)

hitchen@csuvax1.csu.murdoch.edu.au (Greg Hitchen) writes:

   Now my question is - should what I have done work? If not why? Is the
   problem in the FTP retrieve to the vax or the kermit transfer to the PC?
   Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

While FTPing be sure you are using binary mode... and also while kermit
transfering...

--
Timo Suhonen        I am logged in, therefore I am        suhonen@nic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

P.C.Steele@newcastle.ac.uk (P.C. Steele) (02/13/91)

hitchen@csuvax1.csu.murdoch.edu.au (Greg Hitchen) writes:

>I am using a 386sx AT (msdos) and kermit to logon to a microvax III (4.3bsd).
>From the vax I am connecting via FTP to wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4)
>and retrieving the file pk361.exe (self unpacking archive) onto the vax.
>From there I am using kermit to transfer pk361.exe to the PC.
>When I then type "pk361" ........... nothing happens! (and I then have to
>reboot the PC).
>Now my question is - should what I have done work? If not why? Is the problem
>in the FTP retrieve to the vax or the kermit transfer to the PC?
>Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

It's only a little thing but when you connect to wuarchive.wustl.edu you are
remembering to type 'tenex' or 'type binary' this forces a binary transfer
otherwise all tansfers will be made as though the files were text files.

Phillip Steele
2nd Year Micros
Newcastle Uni.

gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu (Mr. Robert Gottlieb; CMSC (UGRAD)) (02/15/91)

Another possibility could be when you do the download with kermit.
You need to use the -i option for binary, so to send pk361 to your
PC, you would need to type:  kermit -i -s pk361.exe

This along with ftping using binary as well should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

/*  Robert Allen Gottlieb               Internet: gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu */
/*  					Bitnet:	  gottlieb@umbc2.umbc.edu */
/* "It is better to be pissed off than pissed on."                        */
/*  These opinions herein are not that of UMBC, but that of Jr, my cat,   */
/*  and me.                                                               */

nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Chael Hall) (02/15/91)

     Once you've gotten the files, either you must force an 8-bit transfer
from VAX to MS-DOS or you have to UUENCODE or otherwise convert your 8-bit
files to 7-bit files so that you can tne UUDECODE them back to 8-bit.  This
should work correctly, otherwise, you get problems such as you have
experienced already.

     I have the same problems with our UNIX 7-bit kermit and VMS 7-bit kermit.
I just use UUENCODE on both.

                                          <hael

--
Chael Hall, Pascal programmer, SYSOP         |      Call NoWhere BBS
bsu-cs!bsu!edu!nowhere                       |       (317) 285-7346