[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Probems with reverse type in Excel 3.0 using

kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dave Kirsch) (02/06/91)

  This is kind of a peculiar problem; I hope somebody can help me out with
Date: 6 Feb 91 02:06:02 GMT

  My hardware setup:
    PS/2 Model 55SX w/60MB hard drive and 6 MB memory
    Sitting on a 16 Mb Token Ring network running OS/2 EE and Lan Server
    Running Windows 3.0 in 386 Enhanced Mode using SDL Disk's LJ III driver
    Using QEMM version 5.11 for a high memory manager
    Running Excel version 3.0 (VERY nice, BTW)
    Printers available: Epson LQ-1050, Laserjet III, LJ III in LJ II mode

  Sorry if the above list is a little anal retentive, but when I've helped
people troubleshoot I've learned it's better to give people too much info
rather than too little.

  Here's my problem: I'm trying to print some of my columns of cells using
reverse type, i.e. white text on a black background. How am I doing this?
Well, when I do a 'format font' I set the font color to white. When I do a
'format pattern' I try to set the pattern to black. At this point, everything
looks perfect on the screen. When I print to the Laserjet III, however, all
I get is columns of pure black, i.e. no numbers, no white type. I've tried
printing to our Epson using the same options and it works fine. I've tried
printing to the LJ III using the LJ II driver and it works fine, but the fonts
I have to choose from *suck*. When using the normal LJIII driver, I have
tried every possible combination of 'pattern', 'foreground' and 'background'
possible in the 'format pattern' dialog box.

  Now, when I change the pattern to any shade of grey besides black and use
the Laserjet III driver (new one in SDL disk set), it prints out fine. When
I was still using the previous version of the Laserjet III driver, however,
I couldn't even do that. (Print white text on a shaded grey background.) It
seems pretty obvious to me that this is a bug in the Laserjet III driver
(Yes, the new improved one.) Anyone care to confirm/deny this? Who should I
talk to about getting this fixed, Microsoft or HP? Is it likely that this is
a combination of Excel 3.0 and the Laserjet III driver's fault, or is it
reasonable to assume that this is entirely the LJ III driver's fault?
Anybody out there from Microsoft or HP care to comment? (And, please, don't
tell me to keep doing it the same way I am right now; one of the main reasons
I'm using Excel 3.0 is for the ability to use white text on a black
background.) I can get by using kludges for right now, but I intend to use
the Laserjet III for my final output.

  Any and all help would be *greatly* appreciated.

Dave Kirsch
kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu

kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dave Kirsch) (02/12/91)

  This is kind of a peculiar problem; I hope somebody can help me out with
Date: 6 Feb 91 02:06:02 GMT

[...]

kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dave Kirsch) (02/15/91)

  To all who have been sending me notes about multiple postings of my last
knowledge: Yes, I know about it. I apologize for any excessive bandwidth and
I assure you I only posted it once. Apparently, our news software and feed
is buggy, and stuck the first line of my post into the header. Because of
this, the second half of the header is being interpreted as part of the
article, and my message-ID (3210@ux.acs.umn.edu) is not being recognized.
Various sites seem to be 'spawning' their own version of the post with their
own unique message-IDs. I have deleted all of the posts I have been able to
find; please let your sysadmin know if one of the 'spawned' messages has a
message-ID from your site so it can be deleted. I hope this helps.

  Also, I wanted to thank everyone who helped me with the actual problem. It
looks like it *is* the Laserjet III driver, which has since been updated.
Thanks to Jeff Altman, as well, for helping me figure out why my post was
going gonzo.

Dave Kirsch
kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu