[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] News reader for ms-dos ?

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/15/91)

In article <26727@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kcw@cis.ufl.edu (Ken Whedbee) writes:

>I'm looking for a News-reader (rrn?) for MS-DOS, such that it can
>attach to and read news from a nntp-server elsewhere on a local
>ethernet.  Any ideas ?

I never figured out how to get that to link up to my Ethernet card.

But I do offer a solution:

Announcing Snuz, a simple News reader (and poster) for NNTP server News.
It also sends mail, how well I can't promise. It is NOT rn or rrn or nn
or trn. It is very simple - no kill files, no regular expression searches,
etc. But it is a reasonable program - it moves about in the miasma
of News quite well. It DOES read cross posted articles only once.

SNUZ IS BETA!! Barely beta!!!! No guarantees.

Snuz is available by anonymous ftp from c.scs.uiuc.edu.

Doug McDonald (mcdonald@aries.csc.uiuc.edu)

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.175218.2073@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) says:

>In article <26727@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kcw@cis.ufl.edu (Ken Whedbee) writes:
>>
>>I'm looking for a News-reader (rrn?) for MS-DOS, such that it can
>>attach to and read news from a nntp-server elsewhere on a local
>>ethernet.  Any ideas ?
>>
>I never figured out how to get that to link up to my Ethernet card.
>
>But I do offer a solution:
>
>Announcing Snuz, a simple News reader (and poster) for NNTP server News.
>It also sends mail, how well I can't promise. It is NOT rn or rrn or nn
>or trn. It is very simple - no kill files, no regular expression searches,
>etc. But it is a reasonable program - it moves about in the miasma
>of News quite well. It DOES read cross posted articles only once.
>
>SNUZ IS BETA!! Barely beta!!!! No guarantees.
>
>Snuz is available by anonymous ftp from c.scs.uiuc.edu.
>
>Doug McDonald (mcdonald@aries.csc.uiuc.edu)

Well, there is a Windows based NNTP news reader available to
anyone with FTP capability.

It's called WinVN and is available from Mark Riordan (sp?) by
anon ftp at clvax1.cl.msu.edu.

1) Reads the entire message into memory (although, the 7000 line
message posted a few days ago caused it to barf totally, but it's the
only one so far that has caused it to die).

2) Allows all cursor movement while viewing the article.

3) Comes with Source Code (however I haven't been able to get it
to compile reliably twice in a row, it always comes out 2k larger than
the original program). (This could be my problem though.)

4) Allows you to reply or post articles.

5) Runs using FTP Software's product.

6) Truly a Windows News Reader.

Since I can't get it to compile correctly, I am still working on my reader.
Currently I can talk to any NNTP (or other socket) that I can get to. If you
can execute the commands, you can read news. You could conceivably
post (but I wouldn't recommend it :-).

I have a list of about 15 improvements/bugs with WinVN. The biggest
problem I have with it doesn't have anything to do with WinVN but with
FTP. I have to run WinVN in /r (real) mode. FTP is supposed to be coming
out with a newer driver in March (I think) that will work with Windows. Until
then, I will use WinVN (or mine when done).

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu