[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Educational discounts

usenet@bellcore.bellcore.com (Poster of News) (02/15/91)

	Someone once told me that Borland will offer a student discount
on TC++, is this true, and if so how can I get in touch with them about
it?  Are there any other major software corperations which offer
discounts to students?

thanks,
mkaerich@hip5.bellcore.com

wewst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Williams) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.231106.15570@bellcore.bellcore.com> mkaerich@breeze.UUCP (Michael Kaericher) writes:

>	Someone once told me that Borland will offer a student discount
>on TC++, is this true, and if so how can I get in touch with them about
>it?  Are there any other major software corperations which offer
>discounts to students?
>
>thanks,
>mkaerich@hip5.bellcore.com

	Yes they offer substantial discounts through the colleges.  I
am a Pitt student and can get there products at about 50% off when
buying through the college.  These are not cripples in any way, I
get the exact same thing as you would by buying the normal way.

 (partial) Pitt Computer Center Price List:

Quattro								48.00
Quattro Pro							67.20
Sidekick Plus							48.00
Turbo C								48.00
Turbo C ++							67.20
Turbo C ++ Pro							134.40
Turbo Pascal							48.00

MS stuff is also available:

MS Windows 3							85.68
Ms Word for Windows						130.41
MS Excell for Windows						130.41
MS FORTRAN							258.75
MS QBasic							45.00

Plus lots of hardware.  The only catch is that you must be a full time
Pitt student or Employee and you cannot resell for 1-3 years (it varies).

Check your Univ to see if they have an arrangement already.  I think
they will only sell through a Univ, not to students directly.

						Ted
						wewst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (02/16/91)

In article <92394@unix.cis.pitt.edu> wewst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Williams) writes:
>	Yes they offer substantial discounts through the colleges.  I
>am a Pitt student and can get there products at about 50% off when
>buying through the college.  These are not cripples in any way, I
>get the exact same thing as you would by buying the normal way.
>
> (partial) Pitt Computer Center Price List:
>
>Quattro								48.00
>Quattro Pro							67.20
>
>Check your Univ to see if they have an arrangement already.  I think
>they will only sell through a Univ, not to students directly.

That's not quite right. Stanford don't sell Borland stuff, but Borland will
sell to you directly if you get a letter from a professor saying you're
a student who needs the product for a class.

Richard Stanton