[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] From 3Com to Netware: Migration

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (02/14/91)

What's the best way to transfer files from a 3Com 3+ Share network server
onto a Novell Netware '386 network server? We'll be upgrading to Netware
'386 sometime within the next year, and when it happens we'll need to move
all our files from the old servers to the new.

Suggestions, horror stories, and solutions will all be gratefully appreciated.
Email too if you want me to post a summary.

Thanks!

--
Scott Coleman                                                      tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.

c37189h@saha.hut.fi (Harri "Haba" Suomalainen) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.184412.14662@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) writes:
>What's the best way to transfer files from a 3Com 3+ Share network server
>onto a Novell Netware '386 network server?

Can you install Novel 386 to 3Com server ? I think it will be possible in
the future, not just yet..

>Suggestions, horror stories, and solutions will all be gratefully appreciated.

Unless 3Com has the promised yet-to-come Novel capability, it may be a bit
hard to install. I tried installing Novel 2.15 to a 3Com and it turned out
(after some debugging) that Novel does not write on screen by bios. There
was some other troble as well. Using bios is a must as keyboard and screen
are on one of the workstations.

Anyone installed a lan software not 3+ Share nor 3+ Open (server version)
on a 3Com ?
--
Harri Suomalainen         c37189h@saha.hut.fi         haba@otax.tky.hut.fi

dauerbach@cup.portal.com (David Dave Auerbach) (02/17/91)

When I did the same thing last year, all I did was take down the pc
running 3+Share and booted it off a floppy with the Novell drivers.
Then I just copied the files over into the appropriate directories.  Of
course, this will only work if your server is not one of 3Com's systems.
-dave