[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WANTED: pkzip w/protection

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (02/14/91)

Does anyone know where I can FTP a copy of PKZIP v1.1 with the virus protection
thing built in?  The copy I got off SIMTEL-20 doesn't have this feature.
Or am I doing something wrong?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (02/16/91)

In article <sbiZT5O00WB9MHT7Mw@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can FTP a copy of PKZIP v1.1 with the virus protection
>thing built in?  The copy I got off SIMTEL-20 doesn't have this feature.
>Or am I doing something wrong?

If I recall properly, I believe that you have to register your copy to get this feature
enabled.  If you got a complete version, you should have documentation that explains all
this.

Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

In article <sbiZT5O00WB9MHT7Mw@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
| Does anyone know where I can FTP a copy of PKZIP v1.1 with the virus protection
| thing built in?  The copy I got off SIMTEL-20 doesn't have this feature.
| Or am I doing something wrong?

  There are some possible legal problems with distributing and code
which does encryption. For that reason Keith at simtel and I, here, have
decided to offer only the sanitized version without encryption.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb15.230013.3836@digi.lonestar.org> kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>In article <sbiZT5O00WB9MHT7Mw@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can FTP a copy of PKZIP v1.1 with the virus protection
:
>If I recall properly, I believe that you have to register your copy to get this feature
>enabled.  If you got a complete version, you should have documentation that explains all
>this.

   No, you recall incorretly.  It is not a question of registering.
It is a question of domicile.  This was discussed at length when
1.10 came out, but the summary is that some silly US law forbids
exporting the version with encryption to Europe.  That's why sites
like Simtel20 and garbo.uwasa.fi have only the European version.
But look around in local BBSes, whether in US or in Europe.  You are
bound to find the proper version.
   To make matters worse, PKWare sends out both versions under the
same name pkz110.exe.  The renaming to pkz110eu.exe is entirely my
(un:-)doing in collaboration with Keith Petersen.
   Incidentally, this also leads to the annoying situation that
PKWare won't sell its security envelope to European program
developer's.  The legislator, and the international computer
community clearly live on different planets.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37