[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Quicken Not Very Good

singer@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/17/91)

Has anybody had either good or poor experience with Quicken3? It may be fine
for writing checks, especially for a small business, but for keeping track of
assets, I have found it to be obscure, clumsy, and even to mess up things. I
suspect there are many better programs, ones that are more intuitive, more
flexible for asset management--perhaps ordinary database management programs.--
-----------
Ben Singer                                      Department of Sociology
                                                University of Western Ontario
Singer@uwo.ca                                   London, Ontario
Singer@uwovax.bitnet                            N6A 5C2
                                                (519) 660-0671  (home)
                                                (519) 679-2111   Ext 5137

albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) (02/18/91)

singer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>Has anybody had either good or poor experience with Quicken3? It may be fine
>for writing checks, especially for a small business, but for keeping track of
>assets, I have found it to be obscure, clumsy, and even to mess up things.

Quicken 4.0 is much better at keeping track of certain types of assets
than was Quicken 3.  It has a whole subsystem for stocks and mutual funds.
Even so, there are some things it won't do and a few bugs in some of the
reports.  It isn't set up to handle short sales very well, or options at all
(although they can be treated as stocks).  The income reports seem to be
correct, but the Net Worth report sometimes makes bizzare caluculations of
some securities while getting the others correct.  I can't figure it out.
----------------------------------------------__------------------------------
David Albert				  |  /  )                  /
UUCP: ...!harvard!albert		  | /  /  __.  , ___o   __/
INTERNET: albert@harvard.edu		  |/__/__(_/|__\/  <___(_/_

rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) (02/19/91)

singer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>Has anybody had either good or poor experience with Quicken3? It may be fine
>for writing checks, especially for a small business, but for keeping track of
>assets, I have found it to be obscure, clumsy, and even to mess up things. I
>suspect there are many better programs, ones that are more intuitive, more
>flexible for asset management--perhaps ordinary database management programs.--

Yes I suppose ... I use Quicken 4 ... Much nicer for the things you
describe.  Support for mutual funds, credit card accounts, stocks etc.

Also customizeable reprt formats that you can save.

Rob.

--
 ____    ____     ____                       Core Lab - Western Atlas Int'l INC
 \   \  /   /\   /    \     Rob              Humans     (318) 235-9431