[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Buffer memory chip for Panasonic printer

pmd@cbnews.cb.att.com (Paul Dubuc) (02/15/91)

I have a Panasonic KX-P1124 printer.  I believe there is a memory chip
available which increases the size of its input buffer (24K, I think).
Does anyone know how I can get this chip, what number it goes by, what it
costs, how it's installed, etc.?  Thanks.
--
Paul Dubuc    |   "Trivialities have overwhelmed us."
att!cbvox!pmd |   		Bob Eckhardt

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb14.163732.11606@cbnews.att.com> pmd@cbnews.cb.att.com (Paul Dubuc) writes:
>I have a Panasonic KX-P1124 printer.  I believe there is a memory chip
>available which increases the size of its input buffer (24K, I think).
>Does anyone know how I can get this chip, what number it goes by, what it
>costs, how it's installed, etc.?  Thanks.
>Paul Dubuc    |   "Trivialities have overwhelmed us."
>att!cbvox!pmd |   		Bob Eckhardt

I and a couple of my friends recently performed the upgrade on
an 1180 and 2 1124's.  The chip required is any industry standard
32Kx8 SRAM faster than 120ns.  Such a chip runs about $7.

1180 Instructions to get to chip placement point.  1) Remove the platen
knob.  It should pull straight off.  2)  Look deep into the inside
corners of the front of the printer.  A flashlight is handy for
this.  You should see, through a molded square hole, two pieces
of plastic.  These two pieces hold the top cover on.  Using
a flat blade screwdriver, pry these apart while lifting on the
cover.  Do the same to the other side and the top should hinge
up and over the back.  Behind the platen there should be an
empty 24 pin slot and that's where the chip goes.  Check with
your local chip expert to determine which way it goes in.

1124 Instructions.  Again remove the platen knob.  Reach over the
front of the printer in about the middle and feel inside the front panel
where the head moves.  Your fingers will be curled around with your
palm resting on the front top edge of the printer.  You may also want to
look.  There is a release there that lets the front panel come
away from the printer.  Do this, then remove the three screws
on the top cover and the cover should hinge to the back.  You
should again see an empty 24 pin socket behind the platen.

Good luck!

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |