[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MEI disks

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (02/13/91)

How are MEI disks these days?

I remember a couple months ago, many netters were complaining of a
rash of poor quality from them, but someone said that this
was because they switched to a new supplier/manufacturer and that
the problem was temporary.

Who do you net.people buy from nowadays?

--
Dennis Lou           || "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu        || "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (02/13/91)

    They appear to have cleaned up their supplier's act.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/13/91)

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:

>How are MEI disks these days?

We buy MEI around here (have been for some time) and have noticed a difference
in the packaging and appearance of the disks we get, but have not had any
quality problems to my knowledge.  We just got a new batch in and if any
problems arise I will post.

BTW, I also get printer ribbons there and have been very happy with prices and
quality, as with the disks.

--
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Mark _E_ Amos         University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering

snow@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (02/13/91)

In article <16619@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:

> How are MEI disks these days?
>
> I remember a couple months ago, many netters were complaining of a
> rash of poor quality from them, but someone said that this
> was because they switched to a new supplier/manufacturer and that
> the problem was temporary.
>
> Who do you net.people buy from nowadays?

I still buy from MEI.  A couple of weeks ago, I received 100 DSDD (360K) and
100 DSHD (1.2M) 5.25" disks from them.  I've formatted about half of the
double-density disks with no problems yet (and I've been formatting them out
to 80 tracks at 10 sectors per side.)  I've formatted all of the high-density
disks, and I found 57 out of 100 to be defective.  All 8 packs of disks (they
came in packs of 25) contained little cards saying "MADE IN CHINA," so it
appears that any problem they may have been having with the DD disks has been
solved, while the HD disks are still as bad as ever.

-ken

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (02/13/91)

In article <16619@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:
>I remember a couple months ago, many netters were complaining of a
>rash of poor quality from them, but someone said that this
>was because they switched to a new supplier/manufacturer and that
>the problem was temporary.

   I have bought exclusively mei disks for several years now.  I am about
ready to give up on them because of the defective rate, as of several months
ago anyway...
   I picked up a computer shopper this weekend, and found about 10 other
companies that seem to have exactly the same prices.  Does anybody have a
specific recommendation ???  From another message I see the there still is
a reported problem with the hd disks.

al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

arra@inmet.inmet.com (02/15/91)

Over a year ago I got a pack of 50 HD 5.25 disks - no bad ones.
Recently I got another pack of 50 which had 8 bad disks.
I call up MEI two days ago to report the problem, and they have
promised to mail me 8 replacement disks, no charge.

I expect to get them, and if I do, I will probably continue to
order disks from them in the future.
=====================
 arra@inmet.inmet.com
 Arra Avakian
 Intermetrics, Inc.
 733 Concord Ave
 Cambridge, MA 02138
 (617)661-1840 x4500
=====================

jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) (02/20/91)

In article <16619@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:

>How are MEI disks these days?

   I bought 500 bulk 5.25" 360K floppies from them a couple weeks after
Christmas. I've only had time to format ~200 of them so far, but the
results have been good. About eight with a few bad sectors (perfectly good
scratch disks for random short-term uses) and only one frisbee (bad boot
sector, useful only as a...).

   For what I paid, I'm pleased. You can buy brand-name disks with a
virtually zero error rate -- for three times or more the money per disk!

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa@amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731@compuserve.com