[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] IDE drives: good or evil?

goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Craig Stephen Campbell) (02/18/91)

  OK, now I'm really curious. I have had nothing but positive experiences
with (small) IDE drives, and I'm about to spend a lot of money on a larger one.
What do you all know about IDE? What Experiences have you had? rumours you
have heard? I think it's time to find out why this baby is so (apparently)
cheap, fast, and simple.
    Please please please somebody explain IDE drives... how do you low level
    format them, anyways? Disk manufacturers obviously can do it....

...I would appreciate any responses...
Craig

--
--------------=================-----------------------==============---------->
Internet: goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU   "Last night I was cool at the pool hall,

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (02/19/91)

are IDE drives generally noisier than other types? my IDE is as noisy as hell!

mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) (02/19/91)

In article <Mbk1fY600WB7A3T2Rq@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>are IDE drives generally noisier than other types? my IDE is as noisy as hell!

There must be a problem with your drive.  I have a couple Conner 42 Mb drives
and one really has to strain to hear ANYTHING from these over the sound of the
system fan.

MC"B!"L

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (02/19/91)

goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Craig Stephen Campbell) writes:
>  OK, now I'm really curious. I have had nothing but positive experiences
>with (small) IDE drives, and I'm about to spend a lot of money on a larger one.
>What do you all know about IDE? What Experiences have you had? rumours you
>have heard? I think it's time to find out why this baby is so (apparently)
>cheap, fast, and simple.

Why they're cheap, I don't know.  My experiences with IDE have been nothing
but good.  These experiences range from installing a pair of Conner CP-3184's
in a Novell server to dinking around with them on Unix 386 systems.

The only thing one should worry about with respect to IDE is compatability.
From what I have heardhow compatable your IDE drive is in your system depends
on who's IDE adaptor you use plus which manufacturer of IDE drive you go with.

Supposedly Conner, Imprimis (now a division of Seagate), and Maxtor are
dependable.  I can only attest for Conner.

ISC only certifies Imprimis and Rodime IDE drives to work under ISC 2.2, but I
have heard a number of people saying that Conner works with ISC, not
surprising to me.  I have also taken my Seagate ST151 and hooked it into a
WD1003-IWH (ST412/506 MFM to IDE board) and got ISC 2.0.2 to run off of that
without reformatting the drive.

The only thing to be weary of is compatability issues.  Don't try and run IDE
under Novell ELS Level I, it's not Novell certified.  Whether it works or not,
I don't know.  I try and stick with Novell certified configurations when
dealing with Netware.  I've also heard of some very idiosyncratic behavior of
IDE under SCO Xenix.  So again, be forewarned.  Best bet is to have a dealer's
guarantee that it will work otherwise they'll refund your money.  Only way to
be 125% though is to test it in the field.  IDE is NOT a replacement for
ST412/506 MFM.  It will work 99% of the time though.

>    Please please please somebody explain IDE drives... how do you low level
>    format them, anyways? Disk manufacturers obviously can do it....

You get a program that is aware of IDE drives.  Disk Manager 4.1 is aware of
IDE drives.  But make sure that the program is specifically aware of IDE
drives since it has to switch the drive into native mode and format it using
its actual drive geometry.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (02/19/91)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

> goat@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Craig Stephen Campbell) writes:

> >What do you all know about IDE? What Experiences have you had? rumours you

> Why they're cheap, I don't know.  My experiences with IDE have been nothing
> but good.  These experiences range from installing a pair of Conner CP-3184's
> in a Novell server to dinking around with them on Unix 386 systems.

I can attest to satisfaction with CDC's contribution to COMPAQ's 40-meg
drive in the older 386/16's, MAXTOR's XLT-200A, Conner 3111 (? a 110meg,
maybe a 3184), and a MicroScience 7100-20.  The MicroSci is a little
'clickety' when the drive's being accessed, but appears to be fairly
solid (albeit a little on the 'fat' size when it comes to installing
in the COMPAQ).  No problems running under COMPAQ DOS 3.31 with ~32meg
paritions.

> >    Please please please somebody explain IDE drives... how do you low level
> >    format them, anyways? Disk manufacturers obviously can do it....

> You get a program that is aware of IDE drives.  Disk Manager 4.1 is aware of
> IDE drives.  But make sure that the program is specifically aware of IDE
> drives since it has to switch the drive into native mode and format it using
> its actual drive geometry.

In speaking with drive manufacturers (CONNER and MICROSCIENCE, in this
case), they advised against low-level formatting.  I used DiskMangler
(uh, DiskManager) to help confuse a COMPAQ's limited drive table into
believing it had a compatible drive.

All in all, I think IDE's are a good choice, but one should make sure
the copmuter's BIOS can handle it, or that you can beat it into sub-
mission.  Software wise--at least under MS-DOS--I haven't found
any compatibilities.

I highly recommend the MAXTOR XLT-200A, but this is deteriorating into
a 'religious' issue :-).

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (02/19/91)

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>are IDE drives generally noisier than other types? my IDE is as noisy as hell!

Depends on the drive.  Conners and Maxtors are so quiet that it drives you
insane.  On those two drives you want the LED hooked up otherwise you'd never
know that it's working.  My running joke about those *VERY* quiet IDE and SCSI
3.5" drives is that there's really a little elf inside of the computer writing
the data down on a noiseless marker board.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) (02/20/91)

In article <7633@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>The only thing one should worry about with respect to IDE is compatability.
>From what I have heardhow compatable your IDE drive is in your system depends
>on who's IDE adaptor you use plus which manufacturer of IDE drive you go with.
>
>Supposedly Conner, Imprimis (now a division of Seagate), and Maxtor are
>dependable.  I can only attest for Conner.

Unfortunatly, the Maxtor 200Meg IDE drive will not always boot on my
33MHZ-386 system. 9 times out of 10 it will boot...this is really
irritating. I now must decide between a 200Meg Conner or a 200Meg
Seagate. :-(

I've heard of other such problem with large-fast IDE drives in
fast motherboards.

Salik.

--
Salik Rafiq                      internet:      rafiq@ccu.UManitoba.CA