[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] building a clone: good stuff vs. trash?

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (02/15/91)

I am about to start construction on a clone, and would
like some advice about where to begin. First of all, there
are something like 50 ads in Computer Shopper for compo-
nents, but precious little advice about what to buy.

Has anyone else built a clone? Any advice to give me? What
companies should I avoid? JDR has a good reputation, but
their prices are a little high. The cheaper companies are
relatively unknown. How far can you trust a company called
"Bulldog"? A couple friends have done this before and suggest
MicroLab in Minnesota and CompuTrend in California. Are these
good places?

What motherboards are best and what should be avoided? Which
bioses are best? What about those $40 keyboards (even those
with the "Alps switches")? What about video cards and moni-
tors? Are major brands (Orchid, Paradise) better than something
like "Great Tek VGA"? How would one find drivers for these
generic boards? Are Samsung monitors any good?

Then there are the hard drives. What to buy and what to avoid?
Are Kaloks, for instance, any good?

So if you've built a clone, or know of someone who has, please
share your experiences. (If you've had a bad experience, here
is your chance to vent your spleen!) Mail is welcome, and I'll
post a summary after a while. And thanks in advance.

By the way, the system I have in mind is a 25 MHz 386 on which
I intend to run Windows 3, so I suppose Bios and video compati-
bility are major considerations.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb15.000423.26009@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>What motherboards are best and what should be avoided?

Well, going with the name brands can't seem to really hurt.  Don't skimp on
parts since you will end up paying for it down the road.  I would recommend
either AMI, MYLEX, or MICRONICS.

>Which bioses are best?

Well, most of the big name motherboards carry big name bioses....Phoenix,
Award, and AMi are the top 3.  They all work about equally well, although
Phoenix and AMI have a bit better rep in the 386 marketplace.

>What about those $40 keyboards?

NEVER buy a cheapo keyboard!  The best inexpesnives keyboard that I can
recommend is the Fujitsu.  I don't like mtek, Chicony, and abhor
keytronics.  The keyboard I have is the Northgate and I swear by it.  And
it has a 5 year warranty, is rock solid and works beautifully.  This is the
Omnikey 102.

>What about video cards and monitors?

Well, I would recommend a 16-bit SVGA with either 512K or 1MB of VRAM, and
that supports non interlaced 1024x768x256.  The best are usually the the
ones based on the ET4000 or Trident 8900 chip set.  The LOGIX card I have
heard real good things about.  The name brands are expensive and you don't
usually get your money's worth, although I hear good things about them too.
LOGIx has the widest selection of drivers out there.

For monitor, I just fell in love with a Samsung Syncmaster 3 (?) that is
.28mm dp, 1024x768 interlaced, and is beautiful.  Crisp, sharp, and it has
VERY vibrant colors.

>Then there are the hard drives. What to buy and what to avoid?
>Are Kaloks, for instance, any good?

I'd stick with name brand hard drives....I haev a preference for Seagate
and especially Conner drives.  I prefer the IDE interface sinc eit is fast,
reliable, and inexpensive.

>By the way, the system I have in mind is a 25 MHz 386 on which
>I intend to run Windows 3, so I suppose Bios and video compati-
>bility are major considerations.

Recommendatin:

386-33 Micronics MB w/ 8MB and 32k cache (1800 total mail order)
Logix 1MB ET4000 based board (189 dollars mail order from Logix)
Samsung Syncmaster .28 monitor (~430 dollars)
Northgate or Fujitsu keyboard (50-120 dollars)
Seagate ST1144 (?) 20ms 125MB IDE (around 500 mail order)
TEAC floppy (65 mail order)
Logitech Mouseman or MS Mouse (~80 dollars)

You total it....I don't have a calculator handy.

Brian

ross@yoko.stat.orst.edu (David Ross) (02/15/91)

In article <26936@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>Recommendatin:
>
>Northgate or Fujitsu keyboard (50-120 dollars)
               ^^^^^
Warning: there are 2 Fuji keyboards generally for sale.  The 4700 is quite nice,
the 4800 is just passable.  If you're buying mail order, make sure the person
taking the order hears you correctly.

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (02/16/91)

In article <26936@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
> [ deleted things about component recommendations, ]
>Recommendatin:
>
>386-33 Micronics MB w/ 8MB and 32k cache (1800 total mail order)
>Logix 1MB ET4000 based board (189 dollars mail order from Logix)
>Samsung Syncmaster .28 monitor (~430 dollars)
>Northgate or Fujitsu keyboard (50-120 dollars)
>Seagate ST1144 (?) 20ms 125MB IDE (around 500 mail order)
>TEAC floppy (65 mail order)
>Logitech Mouseman or MS Mouse (~80 dollars)
>
>You total it....I don't have a calculator handy.

  I total it and I get about $3035 without the mouse.  I'm picking up a new
system today that is configured as follows:

	PC Express 386-33mhz system			2530
          Wedge Motherboard w/64k cache
          4MB ram
          1.2MB and 1.4 MB floppies (TEAC)
          Panasync 1381c monitor
          DOS 4.1 installed
          100 MB IDE drive
          Focus 16 bit SVGA with 1MB

       I put together the following upgrades:
         Diamond SpeedStar 1MB SVGA                        79
         Seagate ST1144A disc drive                        40
         Mini Tower case                                   39

      total price:                                       2688

If you added a second floppy to your recommedation we'd have about a $400
price difference with the major discrepancy being 4Mb of RAM.  Can I get
4 MB ram for less than $400?

>Brian

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401

lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.184449.21942@cs.umn.edu> ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) writes:
> [Stuff deleted]
>
>  I total it and I get about $3035 without the mouse.  I'm picking up a new
>system today that is configured as follows:
>
>	PC Express 386-33mhz system			2530
>          Wedge Motherboard w/64k cache
>          4MB ram
>          1.2MB and 1.4 MB floppies (TEAC)
>          Panasync 1381c monitor
>          DOS 4.1 installed
>          100 MB IDE drive
>          Focus 16 bit SVGA with 1MB
>
>       I put together the following upgrades:
>         Diamond SpeedStar 1MB SVGA                        79
>         Seagate ST1144A disc drive                        40
>         Mini Tower case                                   39
>
>      total price:                                       2688
>
>If you added a second floppy to your recommedation we'd have about a $400
>price difference with the major discrepancy being 4Mb of RAM.  Can I get
>4 MB ram for less than $400?

First of all I'd get a different chassis.  The smaller chassis run hotter
and are a big pain to upgrade at any point - not enough space.
I also would avoid an IDE drive, especially a Seagate. IDE drives are SLOW
and turn out about 500-600k per second throughput - a bad idea to hook up
such a slow drive to a fast system.

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (02/16/91)

From article <26936@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook):
> In article <1991Feb15.000423.26009@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
> Recommendatin:
>
> 386-33 Micronics MB w/ 8MB and 32k cache (1800 total mail order)
> Logix 1MB ET4000 based board (189 dollars mail order from Logix)
> Samsung Syncmaster .28 monitor (~430 dollars)
> Northgate or Fujitsu keyboard (50-120 dollars)
> Seagate ST1144 (?) 20ms 125MB IDE (around 500 mail order)
> TEAC floppy (65 mail order)
> Logitech Mouseman or MS Mouse (~80 dollars)

Sounds like a pretty good system to me.  You forgot a case to put
it in, but the rest sounds good and case price is pretty dependent
on style (desktop, mini-tower, tower, super-tower, etc).  The only
thing that I would add is to get really good prices find someone
that takes PC Week.  The companies in there have the overall best
pricing around.

Example: (but not necessarily an endorsement)

IDS has these motherboards for sale:

AMI 386/25 64k cache, 0k ram - $ 859
AMI 386/25 64k cache, 4M ram - $1059
AMI 386/33 64k cache, 0k ram - $1089
AMI 386/33 64k cache, 4M ram - $1259

Micronics 386/33 0k (doesn't say cache, but probably) $1379

They sell all three mb (AMI, Micronics, and Mylex) recommended previously,
plus harddrives and other things.

You can also find similar low pricing on memory (~45 1Mx9-80 simms), 80387
(although not too low on those), and other components.

If you can get issues from about 3 months back and look through the adds
and see who is still advertising (although most are reliable and I have
seen them advertising for at least a couple years) you will probably be
better off.  Most of these places are distributers and some (IME) are
liquidators.  I think that most will accept credit cards.  After finding
places to get stuff it would probably be a good idea to post here and
ask about past experiences with some places.

john gay.

always looking for cheap, fast thrills.

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/17/91)

From article <1991Feb15.201920.13743@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, by lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird):
> First of all I'd get a different chassis.  The smaller chassis run hotter
> and are a big pain to upgrade at any point - not enough space.
> I also would avoid an IDE drive, especially a Seagate. IDE drives are SLOW
> and turn out about 500-600k per second throughput - a bad idea to hook up
> such a slow drive to a fast system.

IDE drive slow?  How about Conners IDE?  Most people I know seems to go
IDE way.  Is it just because of cost?

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/17/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

 [good suggestions deleted]

>Recommendation:
>
>386-33 Micronics MB w/ 8MB and 32k cache (1800 total mail order)

I just noticed that Lucky Computers is selling the Micronics
486-25 64k cache motherboard (0k RAM) for $1895.  Isn't it
crazy how we're always just a few hundred dollars away from
our ultimate dream machine?

Steve Smith            286 buyer: "I could have bought a 386sx!"
smsmith@hpuxa.         386sx buyer: "I could have bought a DX!"
  ircc.ohio-           386dx buyer: "I could have bought a 486!"
  state.edu            486 buyer: "what the heck will I do with this thing??!"

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) writes:
>Most of these places are distributers and some (IME) are
                                                 ^^^
>liquidators.  I think that most will accept credit cards.  After finding
>places to get stuff it would probably be a good idea to post here and
>ask about past experiences with some places.

OK...I'm about to buy a $599 hard drive from IME which usually sells
for over $800.  Should I do it?

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.201920.13743@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) writes:

>I also would avoid an IDE drive, especially a Seagate. IDE drives are SLOW
>and turn out about 500-600k per second throughput - a bad idea to hook up
>such a slow drive to a fast system.

I don't know where you get those statistics, but I would like to point out
that about 90% of the mail order computer companies use IDE drives because
they are fast, low cost, and reliable.  Northgate, Gateway, Zeos, Dell,
EVERYONE use IDE drives.  I get transfer rates around 800-1000k per second,
and they very inexpensive.

The Seagate and Conner drives are the best for the price.  I personally
have an aversion to Maxtor and Miniscribe.

Also, these companies have IDE drives on their 33mhz and 486 systems.

Your average IDE drive will be arund 20ms with 32K cache, and there are
some down to 15ms, 128K cache, and up to 338MB in size.

Brian

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (02/18/91)

*>>I also would avoid an IDE drive, especially a Seagate. IDE drives are SLOW
*>>and turn out about 500-600k per second throughput - a bad idea to hook up
*>>such a slow drive to a fast system.

*>I don't know where you get those statistics, but I would like to point out
*>that about 90% of the mail order computer companies use IDE drives because
*>they are fast, low cost, and reliable.  Northgate, Gateway, Zeos, Dell,
*>EVERYONE use IDE drives.  I get transfer rates around 800-1000k per second,
*>and they very inexpensive.

Which brings up the point: what exactly is an IDE
drive? I'm familiar with ST506, SCSI, ESDI, MFM
and RLL, but IDE is a new term for me.

In article <1991Feb17.180508.3223@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
|>*>>I also would avoid an IDE drive, especially a Seagate. IDE drives are SLOW
|>*>>and turn out about 500-600k per second throughput - a bad idea to hook up
|>*>>such a slow drive to a fast system.
|>
|>*>I don't know where you get those statistics, but I would like to point out
|>*>that about 90% of the mail order computer companies use IDE drives because
|>*>they are fast, low cost, and reliable.  Northgate, Gateway, Zeos, Dell,
|>*>EVERYONE use IDE drives.  I get transfer rates around 800-1000k per second,
|>*>and they very inexpensive.
|>
|>Which brings up the point: what exactly is an IDE
|>drive? I'm familiar with ST506, SCSI, ESDI, MFM
|>and RLL, but IDE is a new term for me.

IDE can mean many different things to different people.  I have heard it
mean Integrated Drive Electronics, Intelligent Drive Electronics, Integral
Drive Electronis, etc. etc.  The first is the most common, but in general
the IDE interface is a relatively new and popular drive standard.  It has
superseded both the RLL and MFM drive controllers as the controller of
choice for most computer companies.

The drives are distinguished in that the controller is PART of the drive,
much like a SCSI drive, and it requires only an adapter to get the data to
the motherboard.  Some newer motherboards ( Micronics ASICs for example)
have the IDE drive ports built in.

The drives often have 34 or 37 sectors per track, vs. 17 or 26 for MFM and
RLL, and are usually less expensive that most of the other drives out there
(about 150-300 dollars lest than comparable ESDI).  Max throughput is
usually around 800-1000k per second, and most have between a 16-256K track
buffering read ahead cache, and speeds hover around 17-20ms range (although
there are a couple of 28ms drives and 14 ms drives out there).

To sum:

Higher capacity, lower cost, MUCH lower power consumption, relatively high
speed (vs. RLL and MFM), and high efficiency.

Brian

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/19/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

[deletions]

>To sum: [IDE drives have...]
>Higher capacity, lower cost, MUCH lower power consumption, relatively high
>speed (vs. RLL and MFM), and high efficiency.
>
>Brian

Could someone help me to decide between IDE and ESDI?

OK, now I'm confused!  I'll be buying a 486-25 with 4-8 MEGs of
RAM in the next week (from Gateway).  The Maxtor 200 MEG 15ms IDE
drive is standard in the system, but I was planning on getting
a Micropolis ESDI drive instead.

I know about the physical makeup of each drive and basically how
each works, and I'm convinced that the IDE is about as reliable
as an ESDI drive (in the 150-200 MEG range, anyway), but here are
some questions:

1) Will my IDE drive work if/when I change to OS/2?

2) I want to have as much control over my system as possible.  I
   know that I can easily low-level format an ESDI drive, my ESDI
   controller will read the factory-set bad sectors from the drive
   or allow me to enter them manually from the keyboard.  I can
   easily change the interleave on an ESDI drive.  ESDI controllers
   allow for power sequencing in case I get another ESDI drive...

   In other words, it seems to me that an ESDI drive is very versatile
   (it is compatible with DOS, Unix, OS/2, etc.) and it will allow
   me to configure/change it however I want.

   Will I be able to do these things with an IDE drive?

Thanks for any help!

costis@csi.forth.gr (Costis Aivalis) (02/20/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>In article <1991Feb17.180508.3223@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>|>Which brings up the point: what exactly is an IDE
>|>drive? I'm familiar with ST506, SCSI, ESDI, MFM
>|>and RLL, but IDE is a new term for me.

>IDE can mean many different things to different people.  I have heard it
>mean Integrated Drive Electronics, Intelligent Drive Electronics, Integral
>Drive Electronis, etc. etc.  The first is the most common, but in general
>the IDE interface is a relatively new and popular drive standard.  It has
>superseded both the RLL and MFM drive controllers as the controller of
>choice for most computer companies.

>To sum:

>Higher capacity, lower cost, MUCH lower power consumption, relatively high
>speed (vs. RLL and MFM), and high efficiency.

>Brian

And what about Novell drivers?

It seems that there are contrary informations from distributors
about this.

Novell authorized dealers say, the Conner-IDE CP3204 can not be the main
disk of a ELS-II server. They also say forget about the Seagate
ST2080A. They suggest one should use the Maxtor 7080A (IDE also).

What is the big difference between these IDE drives that makes
some of them capable of running Novell and others not?

Is the Maxtor 7080A IDE?

Constantine

| Costis Aivalis              | costis@csi.forth.gr           |