[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Northgate ?

alexw@cyclops.intel.com (Alex Witkowski) (02/20/91)

I am currently planning on purchasing a 80386 33MHz computer or even a
80486, if the price is right.  I would like to spend about $3500.  The
biggest concern I have is compatibility of the design with hardware/software,
performance and reputation of the company, in that order.

The Northgate 80386 33Mhz Slimline system seems like a great deal.  For
$3600, you get 4MB RAM, 100MB hard disk, 1024x768 color monitor as well as
an excellent keyboard (from what I am told).  Any comments on their systems
in general or this one in particular ?  Although I would like the tower
case (in the Elegance series) to get the CPU off the desk, I do not think
the $500 or so extra is justified as I don't think I need the extra expansion
capability.  The slimline has 1-3.5"/1-5.25"/1HD/3-16bit slots/2-8bit slots.
Am I being short sighted ?

Any recommendations of other systems ?  I know I could get an 80486 system for
this price from other companies, does anyone have any feedback on such
systems ?  I would be willing to pay up to about $4K for a 80486.  How is the
GATEWAY 2000 system ?

ALex

Alex Witkowski
Intel Corporation     internet: alexw@t12sys.intel.com
Santa Clara, CA 95051 uucp:     ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!t12sys!alexw

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (02/21/91)

In article <2613@inews.intel.com> alexw@cyclops.intel.com (Alex Witkowski) writes:
>I am currently planning on purchasing a 80386 33MHz computer or even a
>80486, if the price is right.  I would like to spend about $3500.  The
>biggest concern I have is compatibility of the design with hardware/software,
>performance and reputation of the company, in that order.

  I purchased a 33MHz 386 from Northgate about 4 months ago and am extremely
happy with it. I purchased it through an outlet store here in MN. I got the
system, tower case, 100MB IDE, s/w (DOS 4.01 & Windows 3.0) and mouse for
about $3300. No monitor or card (already had those).

  Give Howard Kaplan (Sales rep) a call at 1-612-898-1700 and see what he
can do four you.

* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55378                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (02/21/91)

You will almost certainly want:

	1 3.5" floppy (available in slimline)
	1 5.25" floppy (available in slimline)
	2 HD (so you won't have to throw away the
		original when you need more space. -- no
		space available in slimline.)
	1 tape drive for your new, bigger disk -- no space
		available in a slimline

And, you may also want
	1 cd -- no space available in slimline

Whether or not you're being shortsighted depends on what you wind up doing
in the next 24 months. Now, I admit that I have one, a DELL 220 (20MHz
286) that I bought in 1988. I'm giving it to my wife for an
order entry machine for her business as it's far too small for the kind
of publishing that I do now. If you don't have someone to give a slimline to
when you outgrow it, you're probably being shortsighted. If you have kids
in grade school, you can probably give it to them.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language
	is to cast spells on other people ..."
					Lisa S Chabot

sasst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott A Snowiss) (02/21/91)

Just a quick bit on Northgate.  Almost 2 years ago now, I purchased a
80386 from Northgate.  It has given me flawless service for the whole
time I have had it.  I did have a problem with the hard drive once, and
they Federal Expressed me a new one the next day.  You can beat that.
The technical staff is very knowledgable.  All I can say is that my next
computer will probably be a Northgate.
Enjoy your new computer.
		Scott