[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] New sound board

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/02/91)

A couple months ago someone posted a note about a new sound board
that is supposed to do everything a Soundblaster and Adlib can do,
only better.  They said it was being manufactured by Leading
Technologies (1-800-999-5323).

After calling Leading Technologies 3-4 times they finally returned
my call and confirmed that they have the board and will be shipping it
at the end of February.

Here's some info on it.  (Please note that I don't know anything
about the Soundblaster and Adlib, and "midi" to me is a mystery,
so I'm just trying to mimic what the gentleman was saying...
if you have further questions call the toll free number above.)

Name: "Audioware"

Packaging: will be bundled with board, software, *and* stereo speakers
   (no, not big ones :)  ).

Sound: stereo with built-in 4 watt amplifier.  Can be hooked up to
   your stereo for bigger, better sound.

Soundblaster compatible: will do everything the SB can do including
   the digitized voice stuff and the talking parrot.
   It will have the midi interface like the SB, but you need a midi
   box like SB too.  I asked him specifically if it was Roland
   compatible and he didn't know.  (!!)
   Will have a VOX kit with it. (I'm not familiar with this.)
   I forgot to ask about CMS chips.

Adlib compatible: will work for all games designed to utilize the
   Adlib card.

Externals: joystick port, volume control (on external port of card)

PRICE: $299 retail, approximately $150 wholesale.

My comments:  From what I've heard about the Soundblaster and the
   Adlib, the new Audioware doesn't *seem* to do anything more.
   I asked him what advantage it had over the Soundblaster, and he
   said "it can do anything the Soundblaster can."  Since it will
   cost about the same as the SB, what's the advantage (except
   the added speakers)?  Is Leading Technologies offering something
   which can do more, or are they just wanting to get a piece of
   SB's lucrative market?

   The gentleman said they have already been selling the board bundled
   in their systems, so if any of you have one already maybe you can
   give us some more info.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

cad@ptvxs1.claremont.edu (Cad DeVaughn) (02/02/91)

Yo Netters!

Just when you thought the choioce between sound boards would become easier,
Walt Disney Computer Software is throwing a new punch at you.  According to
the Feb issue of PC Mag,  the Sound Source is an 8-bit digital voice module
that connects to the parallel port on your computer.  It retails for about
(get this) $30.  The first software to support this will be Disney's
educational games, but John Dvorak is convinced that the Sound Source will
become the new pc sound standard and will be supported by all games.

So, what do you think?

Cad DeVaughn                      |'And my spinning head is slowly slowing down.
Computer Lab Manager              |At least my lonely bed is in my favorite
Pitzer College                    |town.'
cad@pitzer.claremont.edu          |HotHouse Flowers - Home

nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) (02/02/91)

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:

AudioWave specs
[...]
>My comments:  From what I've heard about the Soundblaster and the
>   Adlib, the new Audioware doesn't *seem* to do anything more.
>   I asked him what advantage it had over the Soundblaster, and he
>   said "it can do anything the Soundblaster can."  Since it will
>   cost about the same as the SB, what's the advantage (except
>   the added speakers)?  Is Leading Technologies offering something
>   which can do more, or are they just wanting to get a piece of
>   SB's lucrative market?

Besides being compatible with existing sound boards, what's new here?
Notice the list price is higher than a Sound Blaster, about the same
street price. I don't see any special advantage choosing this board
over the SB. My guess is that people will stick with the established
standard unless some thing groud-breaking  comes along.

About the Sound Source from Walt Disney, I saw an ad selling it for $20.
I'm skeptical at anything this cheap. If anyone has tried this please
post your opinions.

--
           Nan Zou              | Bitnet  : nan@ksuvm
    Kansas State University     | Internet: nan@math.ksu.edu

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/03/91)

From article <10614@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by cad@ptvxs1.claremont.edu (Cad DeVaughn):
> Yo Netters!
>
> Just when you thought the choioce between sound boards would become easier,
> Walt Disney Computer Software is throwing a new punch at you.  According to
> the Feb issue of PC Mag,  the Sound Source is an 8-bit digital voice module
> that connects to the parallel port on your computer.  It retails for about
> (get this) $30.  The first software to support this will be Disney's
> educational games, but John Dvorak is convinced that the Sound Source will
> become the new pc sound standard and will be supported by all games.
>
> So, what do you think?

Let's look at the facts.

There are many many sound cards like Sound Source that did not make it (like
Covox, Innovation, etc, under and over $100, I own many of them, and
they are currently collecting dust).

Sound Blaster already has close to 100,000 installed in the US.
Microsoft has accepted it as part of its Multimedia Window extension (that
means big potential in commercial installation).  Almost all the game makers
have decided on Sound Blaster/Adlib standard.  (Note that some major
game companies has yet to support Roland even after they have decided
to support Sound Blaster/Adlib standard, like Spectrum Holobyte with
their Flight of the Intruder and Stunt Driver).

Seeing that games today needs 25MHz 386 to run, you certainly don't want
to be stucked with a technically inferior card.  If Sound Source uses
the parallel port, that means the computer has to STOP everything to do sound,
whereas Sound Blaster uses DMA to do sound so that the CPU can continue to do
other things like graphics concurrently.  Sound Source can use interrupt to
do sound but that will take a lot of CPU power away.  On Sound Blaster,
CPU performance only slow by 5% with the DMA doing sound.  Also,
SB has 11-voice FM music, a joystick port (important to PS/2 users
as the cheapest PS/2 joystick port (only) cost $50), microphone
voice input (potential for voice-command), optional
12-voice stereo music, MIDI, etc, and comes with a voice synthesizer.

Lastly, I bet Sound Blaster for PC retail will drop to under $100 in a few
months.

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (02/04/91)

   The Disney people usually have an 'only invented here' attitude about
a lot of things, but this may reflect more an intent to make the product
capable among a broad range of computing platforms (with different cabling
mainly) and for machine that are slot poor or whose owners dont want to
fiddle inside the computer case. It's a low end game market product for
the unwashed masses probably, at that price it can be an impulse purchase
or bought with the game.

rr@mips.COM (Robert "Bob" Rodriguez) (02/04/91)

 I have the Disney Sound Source and it really works. It is not
 stereo but as far as getting all the sounds necessary for
 playing games and hearing people (or mice) talk it really works.
 It seems fast and simple and it is cheap.
--
Robert Rodriguez
rr@mips.com

rosen@tristar.samsung.com (MFHorn) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.020629.7563@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
> For people who are willing to spend only $20 on sound card, do you
> think they will spend $30 to $50 for a game?  Most likely not.

Let's flip it around:

For people who are willing to spend $30 to $50 for a game, do you
think they will spend $20 on a sound card?  Most likely yes.  Do you
think they will spend $100 - $150+ for on a sound card?  Maybe.

--
Andy Rosen                | rosen@samsung.com       | "I got this guitar
Samsung Software America  | ...!uunet!samsung!rosen |  and I learned how

jennifer@bertha.jpl.nasa.gov (Lorini) (02/05/91)

Just a note:  Interplay Productions will be supporting Disney's Sound Box
by the end of the year.  I haven't had a chance to query the other vendors'
on CIS's GAMPUB forum, but will once we (hubby and I) are serious about
replacing our Adlib card.  8 digital voices for $20 sounds pretty good
to me, particularly without use of a slot on the IBM.

Lorini		use the addresses below for mail, please!
jennifer@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!jennifer@csvax.caltech.edu
72466.3413@compuserve.com  Voice:(818) 354-8617
"Great Leaders are rare, so I'm following myself"

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/05/91)

From article <ROSEN.91Feb4121856@tristar.samsung.com>, by rosen@tristar.samsung.com (MFHorn):
> think they will spend $20 on a sound card?  Most likely yes.  Do you
> think they will spend $100 - $150+ for on a sound card?  Maybe.

Hhhmm, let see, $30 to $50 each game, that could come to $200 to $400
a year, with the conservative number of 5 to 10 games per year (I
spend about $1,000 a year on games, so does many in netland as I was
told).  With that kind of money on games, would you stick with
an inferior sound card?  I mean, that's like buying a 486 machine
with a CGA card/monitor!

Before you go on, let examine the facts.  Everybody is talking as if
the Sound Source is as hardware-competant as say the DMA-driven voice
channel in the Sound Blaster.  It's no where near.  I don't have the
card myself but I have spoken to hardware engineers who had taken
the new sound card apart.  What can you expect from a card that
takes (by my estimation) $5 to make?  Remember, the $5 includes
labor, packing, and bulk-shipping cost.

On the other hand, do you think Disney, a big corporation, is going
to mess with a $20 card?  (that is $5 to make it, $5 for the dealer,
$5 for the distributor, $5 profit?).  I predict the price will
go up.  With the Sound Blaster coming down below $99 in a few
months (my own prediction), I doubt there is a question which
is the sound standard now, and in the future.

) (02/05/91)

In article <6082@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, jennifer@bertha.jpl.nasa.gov (Lorini) writes:
> Just a note:  Interplay Productions will be supporting Disney's Sound Box
> by the end of the year.  I haven't had a chance to query the other vendors'
> on CIS's GAMPUB forum, but will once we (hubby and I) are serious about
> replacing our Adlib card.  8 digital voices for $20 sounds pretty good
> to me, particularly without use of a slot on the IBM.
>
> Lorini		use the addresses below for mail, please!
> jennifer@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!jennifer@csvax.caltech.edu
> 72466.3413@compuserve.com  Voice:(818) 354-8617
> "Great Leaders are rare, so I'm following myself"
Can someone please tell me where I can find out more information about this
Sound Box?  I currently have the SoundBlaster, but if this card doesn't require
a slot, then I'd rather use it.  Thanks.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

MMK102@psuvm.psu.edu (02/06/91)

Just a note on Disney's Sound Box. This idea hase been around for years
and years. The device is just an 8 bit D/A converter with very little
logic what-so-ever. The program just dumps the DIGITIZED sound to the
printer port and the D/A does the rest. I made one for my computer for
about $13 two years ago. The problem with these type of devices is
the massive amounts of data that must be dumped to the printer port
to get any type of sound (8K / second for ONE voice - or about that).
OK - here is what all this means. 1. The computer does no "musical"
work except dump the data to a printer port. 2. The music/voice/sounds
can be as complex or as simple as Disney wants. 3. The sound will
take up more disk space that Windows 3.0 (for anything real complex)
NOTE - This might not be a factor if a game needs 5 or 6 sounds all
about 0.5 seconds long. 4. There might be copyright problems with
a company called Covox who has been selling this product for years
now.
    All in all, Disney's device will sound as good as a mono SB, if
someone takes the time to program the sounds correctly (8 bit D/A
sounds pretty good). Good luck to Disney.
Michael Kercsmar                        |     GO
MMK102 @ PSUVM (BitNet)                 |       Speed Racer
mmk102 @ psuvm.psu.edu (Internet)       |                  GO!

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) (02/07/91)

In article <91037.094240MMK102@psuvm.psu.edu> <MMK102@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>OK - here is what all this means. 1. The computer does no "musical"
>work except dump the data to a printer port. 2. The music/voice/sounds
>can be as complex or as simple as Disney wants. 3. The sound will
>take up more disk space that Windows 3.0 (for anything real complex)
>NOTE - This might not be a factor if a game needs 5 or 6 sounds all
>about 0.5 seconds long. 4. There might be copyright problems with
>a company called Covox who has been selling this product for years
>now.

There is no reason why you can't have the computer do musical work.
You just digitize the instruments, and let the computer adjust the
frequencies and merge multiple tracks.  It's the instruments that
take up the bulk of the data.  For a hundred K of storage, you
can have many minutes of music.  The less instruments the better.
Obviously the better the quality, the more memory it will generally take.
(This is far from new technology.  The Radio Shack color computer
which only has 6 bit D/A can produce reasonably good music with 4
voices this way.  I even have some software that produces 8 simultaneous
voices on the the CoCo.)

>    All in all, Disney's device will sound as good as a mono SB, if
>someone takes the time to program the sounds correctly (8 bit D/A
>sounds pretty good). Good luck to Disney.

True, with the exception it will take more CPU power to do anything
else at the same time because of no DMA.  (In other words, not as good
for arcade games on slow machines.)  (This is without knowing exactly
what hardware is in the box.  Does the computer or the box determine
the timing?  Is there any buffer at all in the box?)

    - John

kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) (02/09/91)

I just bought a Disney Sound Source bundled with ABC's and it works fine
but how do I make it Soundblaster/Adlib compatible as the Subject line
suggests?  Is there a driver I would have gotten if I hadn't bought it
in the bundle?

Thanks,
Kevin Meis
att!drutx!kmeis

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/09/91)

kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) writes:
>I just bought a Disney Sound Source bundled with ABC's and it works fine
>but how do I make it Soundblaster/Adlib compatible as the Subject line
>suggests?  Is there a driver I would have gotten if I hadn't bought it
>in the bundle?

No, no.  Back up.  This Subject line seems to have merged two threads, one
of which was discussing a new card which is pretty much a clone of the
Soundblaster (only it includes speakers at the $150 price), and the other
which was discussing the much-hyped (thanks, Dvorak) Sound Source module.

As I understand it, the Sound Source plugs into your parallel port and
nothing more - there's no way you're going to get something hooked to a
parallel port to interface via the I/O ports used by Adlib and
Soundblaster, or to do any real non-CPU driven sound such as digitized
voice.  If a salesperson let you think you were buying a $30 substitute for
the $100 and $150 cards, I'd go back and give 'em a piece of my mind.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu

tts@ttank.ttank.com (Karl Bunch) (02/10/91)

In <1991Feb6.223133.15170@engin.umich.edu> jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) writes:

>In article <91037.094240MMK102@psuvm.psu.edu> <MMK102@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>>OK - here is what all this means. 1. The computer does no "musical"
>>work except dump the data to a printer port. 2. The music/voice/sounds
>>can be as complex or as simple as Disney wants. 3. The sound will
[stuff deleted]
>There is no reason why you can't have the computer do musical work.

Still a lot of CPU being wasted.  I looked into this box for fun to use
under Xenix. (The thought of Mickey Mouse saying "You have new mail. ha ha")
kinda of struck me.  So I got a hold of one (via a friend at a local store,
okay it was my Mother but I'll never tell..)

>>    All in all, Disney's device will sound as good as a mono SB, if
>>someone takes the time to program the sounds correctly (8 bit D/A
>>sounds pretty good). Good luck to Disney.

>True, with the exception it will take more CPU power to do anything
>else at the same time because of no DMA.  (In other words, not as good
>for arcade games on slow machines.)  (This is without knowing exactly
>what hardware is in the box.  Does the computer or the box determine
>the timing?  Is there any buffer at all in the box?)

I found only what looked like about $5 in parts.  It has NOTHING more
than a Amp and a battery in the box it'self and maybe a A/D chip in the
connector that goes between the cpu / printer.  I didn't even bother
running the software since I wanted to use it under Xenix.  Oh well. :-)

I didn't bother trying to figure out what chips etc were in it but you
could count them on one hand. :-)

BTW while we are on the subject.  How easy is it to get SoundBlaster
Technical/Programming information?  If it turns out to be a good board
I would like to build a device driver for it under Xenix or Unix.

Thanks,
Karl
--
% ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Karl Bunch                            ||| UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!karl

tom@syssoft.com (Rodentia) (02/14/91)

I have been mucking with this a little, and am not fully convinced
that that is all there is to it.  The only chip in it is an ASIC,
and it would be possible to have some registers in there for more
complex operations.

Granted there may not be such a thing.  Disney is willing to license
code to drive the thing, but they won't give out technical specs
(at least not last time I called).

If anyone can come up with more detailed information than this,
please post it or e-mail me.  Thanks.
--
Thomas Roden                                      | tom@syssoft.com
Systems and Software, Inc.                        | Voice: (714) 833-1700 x454

wlnk_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Brian Willnecker) (02/16/91)

According to PC Magazine, MSound International has released a new
sound board product for IBM PC and compatibles.  The new device, coined
MSound stereo, boasts 16-bit stereo sound and has its own digital signal
processing chip (TMS320).  According to reports, the DSP chip allows for
CD-quality sound.  MSound has elected to use a hardware/software solution
to answer PC users sound demands, thus allowing for new software updates
when required.

The device plugs into the parallel printer port and allows for invisible,
simultaneous operation with the printer.

The price for the MSound Stereo, $249.95 suggested manufacturer's list
price.  Street prices will probably be 30%-40% less.

MSound Stereo provides the stereo sound that comes optionally with the
popular Creative Lab's Soundblaster, and has 16 bit-sound, compared to
8-bit sound of the SoundBlaster.

			 * 	*	*

For all of those computer soundboard junkies out there, I have a few
questions.

Has anyone else obtained information on this product?
Will piping sound data through the parallel port slow operations down due
to the lack of a separate DMA channel?
With a DSP chip, should the board be able to render voice?
Is Msound widely supported?  Will this product catch on?
And, is MSound International a reliable company, ie do they make quality
products

***
opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of my University.
--
******************************
* Another Fine Message From  *

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (02/21/91)

/ tts@ttank.ttank.com (Karl Bunch) /  2:49 pm  Feb 10, 1991 / writes:

$ BTW while we are on the subject.  How easy is it to get SoundBlaster
$ Technical/Programming information?  If it turns out to be a good board
$ I would like to build a device driver for it under Xenix or Unix.
$
If you are really serious, buy the Sound Blaster Developer Kit. It comes
with 2 disks and contains library routines for MASM, Quick Basic and C.
Also includes a fairly detailed manual.

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>