[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] windows 3.0 standard mode on AT&T pc6300 plus ???

ejm@druhi.ATT.COM (MooneyEJ) (02/21/91)

I would like to know if anyone has been able to get WINDOWS 3.0 to run
on a AT&T pc6300plus in standard mode. I can get himem.sys to load and install
the A20 handler number 5 (i.e. for the 6300plus). When windows is executed
only the logo screen comes up, then the system hangs. Only a hard reset will
bring it back. The autoexec and config have been trimmed to the minimum
needed for WINDOWS only.

alu@cbnewsk.att.com (Alan Lustiger) (02/21/91)

In article <7600@drutx.ATT.COM> ejm@druhi.ATT.COM (MooneyEJ) writes:
>I would like to know if anyone has been able to get WINDOWS 3.0 to run
>on a AT&T pc6300plus in standard mode. I can get himem.sys to load and install
>the A20 handler number 5 (i.e. for the 6300plus). When windows is executed
>only the logo screen comes up, then the system hangs. Only a hard reset will
>bring it back. The autoexec and config have been trimmed to the minimum
>needed for WINDOWS only.

Evidently it is not possible. We have sent a 6300+ to Microsoft
and it sounds like they could not get it to work. I think that
Windows requires a 16-bit DMA and the Plus is 8-bit. (I don't
know hardware, if this makes no sense please disregard it.)

Oh, well. (At least the 6300 could be upgraded with a Sota board;
no upgrade options for the PLUS!)
--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Bell Laboratories ERC, Princeton, NJ