[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Tar uncompression for the PC

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) (01/31/91)

Is there a program for the PC that will uncompress a tar file.

An FTP address will be real helpful.
Bin

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (02/05/91)

In article <1375@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) writes:
>Is there a program for the PC that will uncompress a tar file.

You don't "uncompress tar files", though tar files (like other
files) might start out compressed.

Simtel (wuarchive.wustl.edu) has a program compr16 somewhere
which is a 16-bit compress/uncompress.  Using this you turn a
file xx.tar.Z into xx.tar, now you need a tar to unpack the
tarfile.

MKS Toolkit bundles a nice tar.  I don't have personal experience
with a good public domain tar (I haven't looked hard).  On Unix,
you would

	tar xf tarfilename

MKS Toolkit is generally the best thing to add to a vanilla DOS
machine.  Check it out; you'll never care about anemic Microsoft
OSish offerings again.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) (02/08/91)

   There is a program on wuarchive.wustl.edu in the directory:
systems/ibmpc/msdos/starter

   The file name is tarread.exe

+---------+ Scott Maxell --- IO92203 AT MAINE
|         | ---------------- IO92203 AT MAINE.MAINE.EDU
|    O    |
+---------+ not what I tell it to do..."

mhr@ccicpg.UUCP (MHR {who?}) (02/22/91)

In <29842@usc>, ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu writes:
> In article <1375@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) writes:
> >Is there a program for the PC that will uncompress a tar file.
>
> You don't "uncompress tar files", though tar files (like other
> files) might start out compressed.
>
> Simtel (wuarchive.wustl.edu) has a program compr16 somewhere
> which is a 16-bit compress/uncompress.  Using this you turn a
> file xx.tar.Z into xx.tar, now you need a tar to unpack the
> tarfile.

Excuse me, but I couldn't let this bit of misinformation pass unnoticed.

The Simtel archive is a public access archive of software (shareware,
freeware and public domain) operated by the U.S. Army and located on the
White Sands Missile Range in (I forget - Arizona or New Mexico).  It is
a DECsystem 20 running TOPS20 and its node name is
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.

wuarchive.wustl.edu is a mirror archive of the Simtel archives, located
at Washington University in (I don't know - Washington State or D.C.?).
Everything stored at Simtel/WSMR eventually (and usually rather quickly)
finds its way to wuarchive.

The organization of files on the two machines is totally different,
access methods differ, although both are available for anonymous ftp if
you are on the InterNet or have access to an InterNet site account.
Additionally, the Simtel archive has two list-servers for mail requests
and responses in the U.S. and a few others overseas (one or more,
dunno), and these are accessible via BITNET or UseNet (and other nets I
think).  I don't know if wuarchive is available for access other than by
anonymous ftp or direct uucp (if you have a direct connection, and I
won't swear to that).

Please do not confuse the two.

--
Mark A. Hull-Richter    UUCP:  ccicpg!mhr       In all things, restraint,
ICL North America                               especially with respect