[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need More DOS Memory!

noring@netcom.COM (Jon Noring) (02/18/91)

Hello,

As most people eventually face, I'm finding that many of my programs won't
run on my pc because of the 640k limitation of DOS.  Of course, I've been
playing games of rebooting with a downsized autoexec.bat file (to remove
stuff that I don't need), but find this a pain.  One of my applications
will not run properly even when I strip everything out to the bare minimum.

I've heard of software that will utilize the higher memory available and
move stuff there (I have 8 megs used mainly for Windows 3.0 when I run it).

Could anybody out there summarize to me what software is the best to use,
and other things I should be aware of.   I've heard that Quarterdeck has some
good software to do this (Deskview?).   BTW, I have a 386-33 machine with
8 megs and am running MS-DOS 4.01.  Thanks.

Jon Noring

ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) (02/18/91)

noring@netcom.COM (Jon Noring) writes:

>As most people eventually face, I'm finding that many of my programs won't
>run on my pc because of the 640k limitation of DOS.  Of course, I've been
>playing games of rebooting with a downsized autoexec.bat file (to remove
>stuff that I don't need), but find this a pain.  One of my applications
>will not run properly even when I strip everything out to the bare minimum.

>I've heard of software that will utilize the higher memory available and
>move stuff there (I have 8 megs used mainly for Windows 3.0 when I run it).

>Could anybody out there summarize to me what software is the best to use,
>and other things I should be aware of.   I've heard that Quarterdeck has some
>good software to do this (Deskview?).   BTW, I have a 386-33 machine with
>8 megs and am running MS-DOS 4.01.  Thanks.

I have the same problem.  I have tried many solutions, but nothing has even
given me a byte more memory.  I have a 286-12, and VGA, so no program can
give me any memory, at least none that I have found.  I have 4 meg, that I
basicly don't use.  If anyone has anysuggestions for me, please email a
reply.

Finally, there are many utilities you can use to increase YOUR memory.  I think
hram1.zip on simtel would be your best bet.  It can give you up to around
900k if things go right.  It requires EMS.

Dave
--
David Frascone 				ccastdf@prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology,

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (02/18/91)

noring@netcom.COM (Jon Noring) writes:

>As most people eventually face, I'm finding that many of my programs won't
>run on my pc because of the 640k limitation of DOS.  Of course, I've been
>playing games of rebooting with a downsized autoexec.bat file (to remove
>stuff that I don't need), but find this a pain.  One of my applications
>will not run properly even when I strip everything out to the bare minimum.

>I've heard of software that will utilize the higher memory available and
>move stuff there (I have 8 megs used mainly for Windows 3.0 when I run it).

>Could anybody out there summarize to me what software is the best to use,
>and other things I should be aware of.   I've heard that Quarterdeck has some
>good software to do this (Deskview?).   BTW, I have a 386-33 machine with
>8 megs and am running MS-DOS 4.01.  Thanks.

>Jon Noring

	My first question is with 8megs of RAM what the hell are you running
DOS for ?  Secondly,  I am not sure if you have tried it yet, but Quaterdeck
has a real fine memory manager out called QEMM386.SYS, and it does just about
everything it appears you are looking for.  Loading such nice things as 30k of
buffers into expanded memory, loading .SYS drivers into high memory, and all
sorts of other nice nifties.  Last I used it, I was running a 386/25 with 4meg
and about 110k in DOS/TSR functions.  It allowed me into the 580+k available.
Don't freak out and wonder how complicated it is to load all this.  They also
give a nice little program that does it for you, parsing your autoexec.bat and
config.sys files, coming up with the best memory solutions possible.  try it.
you'll like it.

	Craig Nelson (mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/18/91)

In article <24473@netcom.COM> noring@netcom.COM (Jon Noring) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Could anybody out there summarize to me what software is the best to use,
>and other things I should be aware of.   I've heard that Quarterdeck has some
>good software to do this (Deskview?).   BTW, I have a 386-33 machine with
>8 megs and am running MS-DOS 4.01.  Thanks.

Well, I personally have used QEMM and QRAM and find them both satisfactory.
The products that you will want to consider the most are the 386 specific
products, such as QEMM-386, 386MAX, and NetRoom/386.  Of these I believe
that you would be most interested in is QEMM, although 386MAX is supposed
to be comparable.

QEMM, among other things, replaces HIMEM.SYS, will load device drivers and
what not into high memory, will shadow ROM, give you EMS 4.0 out of XMS,
convert XMS to EMS, etc.  Right now you can pick it up mail order for about
80 dollars, and it is WELL WORTH IT!

I use DOS 3.3, which gives me about 10K (?) more than 4.01, but being able
to load METASHEL (a 90K graphics driver), Mouse.sys, ansi.sys, driver.sys,
and buffers all into high memory gives me a total of 592K available.  The
only problems that I have discovered so far are that:

QEMM conflicts with other protected mode programs (notably Turbo Debugger
386), but gets a long with most 286 protected mode programs.  In other
words, other 386 control programs get irked with QEMM occasionally.  The
other thing is that Quarterdeck tech support is atrocious....I have YET to
get through to them!  I've had the line picked up ONCE, and then I was put
on hold by voice mail for 15 minutes before I hung up.  And it's not even
toll free.

DesqView is another Quarterdeck product, but it is a system for
multitasking and usually relies on QEMM386 for the memory management.

If you have a motherboard that shadows (mine does....Micronics 386-33) then
be sure and put the NOSH line in your QEMM.SYS line, otherwise you will get
random reboots.

Brian

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (02/19/91)

ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) writes:

> Finally, there are many utilities you can use to increase YOUR memory.  I thi
> hram1.zip on simtel would be your best bet.  It can give you up to around
> 900k if things go right.  It requires EMS.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   The manual claims support for C&T NEAT ram shadowing. I spent a lot of
time reading the manual and setting things up.

   A one line read.me file tells the truth: this version does not support
NEAT.

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (02/19/91)

"The other thing is that Quarterdeck tech support is
atrocious....I have YET to get through to them!  I've had the
line picked up ONCE, and then I was put on hold by voice mail
for 15 minutes before I hung up."

Brother, you can say THAT again!  All I wanted was information on
how to update QEMM to version 5.1, so that I can run with Windows 3.0.
Could I get anything but a busy signal on their phone line?   No.  Oh
well.  So I gave up and dropped them a postcard requesting the
information.  Well, guess what:  I never got a reply from them.

Dear Quarterdeck:  If you are listening, you are about to lose a
former happy customer just because I have a problem to solve and you
don't seem too concerned about respecting your current user base.  No
way I'm going to buy a whole new version of QEMM.  If I have to do
that, I'll find another Windows-compatible solution (like 386 MAX).
I'm not bound to support a company who doesn't support me.

Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (02/21/91)

In article <RkkmX5w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:
>
>> "The other thing is that Quarterdeck tech support is
>> atrocious....I have YET to get through to them!  I've had the
>
>> Brother, you can say THAT again!  All I wanted was information on
>> how to update QEMM to version 5.1, so that I can run with Windows 3.0.
>> Could I get anything but a busy signal on their phone line?   No.  Oh
>
>I called them for setup information and got through quickly.  My
>problem was handled to my satisfaction and I hadn't even got the
>registration card in the mail.  I guess it depends which way the
>wind is blowing at the time, eh?

  Nah.  All these guys (WITH modems, btw) have to do is call the
Quarterdeck BBS, and all the info they need is right there.  In-
cluding dope on how to upgrade to v5.11 QEMM.
  Quarterdeck BBS 213.396.3904

Bert_-_Raphael@cup.portal.com (02/21/91)

If you just need a LITTLE more memory, and you need it while you are
working in text (not graphics) mode, look at a little package called
"Memory Master" from Vericomp (303-241-5800).  It transparently tacks
about 120K of graphics buffers that DOS normally reserves, onto the
available 640K, WITHOUT needing any expanded or extended memory.  My
Turbo Pascal compiler and complied applications that need over 700K
(including TSRs) work beautifully on my 286 with Memory Master.
(under DOS 3.3).

  --Bert

joseph@panix.uucp (Joseph R. Skoler) (02/22/91)

In article <39472@cup.portal.com> Bert_-_Raphael@cup.portal.com writes:
>If you just need a LITTLE more memory, and you need it while you are
>working in text (not graphics) mode, look at a little package called
>"Memory Master" from Vericomp (303-241-5800).  It transparently tacks
>about 120K of graphics buffers that DOS normally reserves, onto the
>available 640K, WITHOUT needing any expanded or extended memory.  My
>Turbo Pascal compiler and complied applications that need over 700K
>(including TSRs) work beautifully on my 286 with Memory Master.
>(under DOS 3.3).
>
>  --Bert

Is there a shareware or PD program that does this exact thing?
It sounds great (after trying HRAM, VRAM etc. and being quite
disappointed)

Joseph R. Skoler

UUCP:      {cmcl2|apple!}panix!joseph
BITNET:    skohc@cunyvm.bitnet