[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] BRIEF indentation/tabulation

ronch@TAURUS.BITNET (02/21/91)

Does any body know how to make BRIEF treat indentation differently
from tabulation ?

What I specifically need is to make the indentation work in jumps of 3,
(as in indentation of loops in programs) and by inserting the
necessary number of spaces, whereas whenever the character '\t'
(ASCII 9) appears in the text, it should reserve space up to the next
multiple of 8 (as is the default in any display device), so that when
I read files which contain tab characters, they should look the same
as when I print them.

If you have a solution / an idea, and you prefer to reply by email,
please reply to porter3@taunivm.tau.ac.il and not to this address.

Thanx in advance

Nimrod (using a friend's login)

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (02/23/91)

ronch@TAURUS.BITNET writes:
>Does any body know how to make BRIEF treat indentation differently
>from tabulation ?
>What I specifically need is to make the indentation work in jumps of 3,

Either:

	Use a print program the expands tabs to spaces and sets the
	tabstop at 3.

or

	Force Brief to use spaces instead of tabs, and set Brief tabstops
	to 3.

If you like, I will send you a print program that will do the above, for MSDOS
or Interactive Unix.