[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Low level format ruined my drive .....

crs14@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Course user 14) (02/20/91)

Well...I performed a low-level format on a 'Shinwa D220' 32M hard drive
and subsequently it has hard errors on the first 20 or so cylinders. The
drive had been in use for some time and never given any trouble until I
got my greasy mits on it.

Has this happened to anyone other than myself ?  Is it possible to find a
way of making the drive useable ? I don't like throwing things away unless
their DEAD.

p.s. The drive came in an OPUS PV5 and has since been replaced with a Seagate
unit, the controller is a Western Digital WD 1003-RA2

p.j.vossler@exeter.ac.uk (internet)
p.j.vossler@uk.ac.exeter (janet)
crs14@uk.ac.exeter.exua  (internet)

kris@beep.UUCP (Huh?) (02/24/91)

In article <CRS14.91Feb19174526@exua.exua.exeter.ac.uk>, crs14@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Course user 14) writes:

 >Well...I performed a low-level format on a 'Shinwa D220' 32M hard drive
 >and subsequently it has hard errors on the first 20 or so cylinders. The
 >drive had been in use for some time and never given any trouble until I
 >got my greasy mits on it.

 >Has this happened to anyone other than myself ?  Is it possible to find a
 >way of making the drive useable ? I don't like throwing things away unless
 >their DEAD.
>
 >p.s. The drive came in an OPUS PV5 and has since been replaced with a Seagate
 >unit, the controller is a Western Digital WD 1003-RA2

     This may sound silly, but...

     Here on beep we went through 3 hard disks and 2 controllers before I
finally figured out what was happening.  The symptoms were:

	0.  Format the drive (low-level)
	1.  Do "fdisk" and all...
	2.  After a while system wouldn't boot, gave "boot fail" message.
	3.  Nothing (ARRRRRRGH!) <=me  8-[

     I finally figured out that the disk drive itself had thermal problems,
i.e. I have to let it "warm-up" just like an old tube-style radio!  So now,
beep has two power supplies and the disk drives NEVER get shut down; besides
UNIX doesn't like to be shut down...

     If I have to shut down the disk drives, I let the drives run by
themselves for an hour or so, then boot the system normally.

--
					Kris
					key!beep!kris -OR- woodowl!beep!kris

"For men without women
 are like fish without water to swim in;                       Was (Not Was)
 their eyes bugging out, they flop on the beach                "Shadow & Jimmy"
 and stare up at the girls who are just out of reach."