[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] printer port key software protection

tateishi@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Nao Tateishi) (02/13/91)

I need to protect some custom written software but am a little confused.  I've
looked into the adapters that plug into the printer port and even sent away for
a demo kit from one company.  After reading the docs, it seems that it shouldn't
be too hard to create a compatible key.

Has anyone successfully bypassed these keys or are they as safe as the manuf.
say they are.

/nt

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (02/13/91)

tateishi@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Nao Tateishi) writes:

>I need to protect some custom written software but am a little confused.  I've
>looked into the adapters that plug into the printer port and even sent away for
>a demo kit from one company.  After reading the docs, it seems that it shouldn't
>be too hard to create a compatible key.

>Has anyone successfully bypassed these keys or are they as safe as the manuf.
>say they are.

Why don't you change your plans?  Software protection using anything other
than the honor system is out of fashion.   I won't buy a
protected program, no matter what it is.  If I buy one accidentally,
it goes back.  I don't make illegal copies either, but
do feel it is my right to make as many backups as I choose, in any
format I choose, be it a floppy, a tape, a worm disk, or even
another hard disk.

I also would detest having to crawl between my desk and the wall, to unplug the
printer cable and replace it with a key every time I wanted to run a
particular program.  It's hard enough with many companies to get technical
help with the software itself, and I don't need additional problems or
expense caused by a pointless copy protection scheme.

Kris.
--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .

miked@syscon%nstar.rn.com (Mike DeMetz) (02/14/91)

tateishi@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Nao Tateishi) writes:

>I need to protect some custom written software but am a little confused.  I've
>looked into the adapters that plug into the printer port and even sent away for
>a demo kit from one company.  After reading the docs, it seems that it shouldn't
>be too hard to create a compatible key.

>Has anyone successfully bypassed these keys or are they as safe as the manuf.
>say they are.
Well their complexity varies.Ones we have(requires 3 to run all levels) use
what looks like a rom.The PC writes a certain code to it and reads back since
the port is bidirectional.Another that I looked at simply feed a pulse back
on pin 10 based on two data ou pulses.The tricky part is there is no 5 volts
on the port so they put out a square wave on a data pin and rectify it for
a power source.

tateishi@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Nao Tateishi) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb13.090108.11277@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) writes:
>Why don't you change your plans?  Software protection using anything other
>than the honor system is out of fashion.   I won't buy a
>protected program, no matter what it is.  If I buy one accidentally,
>it goes back.  I don't make illegal copies either, but
>do feel it is my right to make as many backups as I choose, in any
>format I choose, be it a floppy, a tape, a worm disk, or even
>another hard disk.

This may be okay for shrink wrapped software which sell off the shelf, but for
custom designed control software for industrial applications which you are
lucky to sell two versions but take three months developing, the honour system
is playing with your livelyhood.

The main reason I went this direction is that the customer specifically asked
for source code.  If that's not a hint that they want to copy the system, I
don't know what is.

/nt

rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb16.072856.5644@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tateishi@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Nao Tateishi) writes:

>This may be okay for shrink wrapped software which sell off the shelf, but for
>custom designed control software for industrial applications which you are
>lucky to sell two versions but take three months developing, the honour system
>is playing with your livelyhood.
>
>The main reason I went this direction is that the customer specifically asked
>for source code.  If that's not a hint that they want to copy the system, I
>don't know what is.
>
>/nt

I'd ordinarily mail you, but I think the point that needs to be made here
is of general interest to PC users.  IMHO, you are being too inflexible about
the customer's request.  Think of it from his or her point of view.  Suppose
you were run over by a truck tomorrow, or moved to Cairo or some such thing.
Where would the customer be then?  That's right, with an expensive control
system with zero support.  It only makes good business sense to require
the source code for all custom projects.

When you do custom work like this, you have to be selective with your
customers, just as they have to be selective when choosing you.  They
are going to have to ready, willing, and able to amortize your risk and
pay extra for source code.  You could even have them sign non-
disclosure agreements; that is a routine procedure in the software
development and customization business.

If your customer has problems with all of this, then you should reconsider
whether or not you ought to be doing business together.  Shady deals or
deals where one party is distrustful of the other ought to be avoided
to ensure long term good will, health, and happiness.

--
Robert C. White, Jr.          Right lane of .signature closed, merge left
The WhiteStar Corporation 					/\/\