[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help- How do I read apple dos diskette in my MSDOS pc?

@crdgw1.ge.com:miyaoka@afcsa.af.mil (exos:) (02/09/91)

Help - How do I read apple dos ( pro dos ?) diskettes directly
on my msdos pc?  I need to get some files (ascii and apple-
works) from an apple2 5 1/4 in diskette.  Is there any
software out there which will allow my msdos pc to
read (and translate ?) apple2 disks?

thanks in advance.

Les Miyaoka @ afcsa.af.mil

hope this get into the system

jwm712@unhd.unh.edu (Jonathan W Miner) (02/22/91)

Since we're on the topic, how about reading Commodore 64 disks, written
on the 1541 drive?

E-Mail Please, I'll follow up to the net.

--
Jonathan Miner        | I don't speak for UNH, and UNH does not
jwm712@unhd.unh.edu   | speak for me!

jmsommer@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (Jeff Sommer) (02/25/91)

In article <3214@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, @crdgw1.ge.com:miyaoka@afcsa.af.mil (exos:)
says:

>Help - How do I read apple dos ( pro dos ?) diskettes directly
>on my msdos pc?  I need to get some files (ascii and apple-
>works) from an apple2 5 1/4 in diskette.  Is there any
>software out there which will allow my msdos pc to
>read (and translate ?) apple2 disks?

Nope, it's physically impossible.  Sorry.

Your only hope is to have a serial port on both the apple and the ibm with a
null modem and use some sort of file transfer protocol.

Kermit 3.86 is the newest version available for the Apple ][ series.  On
BITNET, send an interactive message to KERMSRV at CUVMA.  (I think that still
works... somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

   Jeff Sommer    Oxford, OH 45056 || jmsommer@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
   714 S.Locust #13 (513) 523-7424 || jmsommer@miamiu.bitnet
   "Modesty is the art of drawing attention to whatever it is
    you're being humble about." - Alfred E. Neuman

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (02/25/91)

There is an apple mac drive that reads MS-DOS 3.5" disks.  When I take
MS-DOS PostScript disks to my typesetter they can read them fine with
the apple drive (superdrive?)

Anyway find a friend that has the mac drive if that's a solution that'll
work...

Terrell

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (02/26/91)

In article <91055.182125jmsommer@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu> jmsommer@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (Jeff Sommer) writes:
>In article <3214@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, @crdgw1.ge.com:miyaoka@afcsa.af.mil (exos:)
>>
>>Help - How do I read apple dos ( pro dos ?) diskettes directly
>>on my msdos pc?  I need to get some files (ascii and apple-
>>works) from an apple2 5 1/4 in diskette.  Is there any
>>software out there which will allow my msdos pc to
>>read (and translate ?) apple2 disks?
>
>Nope, it's physically impossible.  Sorry.

You can do it with hardware.  I have two new Trackstar boards that
plug into your pc and give you complete Apple //e coprocessing abilities.
You can use the video, hard disk, and some floppy drives of your pc.
They retail new for $445, I'll sell one new for $200.  If you are
interested, send email to fordke@ingr.com and I can send you more
information.  BTW, a utility lets you move data between MSDOS and ProDOS.