[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for sofware, translate languages german/spanish/french e

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (02/27/91)

mhr@ccicpg.UUCP (MHR {who?}) writes:

> In <1991Feb19.000214.2392@ohsu.edu>, morales@ohsu.edu writes:
> >
> > I am looking for a software which would translate something written in
> > English and it would translate to other languages such as Spanish, or
> > other languages,
> >
> > Can someone help?
> >
> I just threw away a brochure from a company called Specialty Software or
> something like that which happened to contain an ad for just this very
> thing - a series of programs which translate articles written in English
> into other languages (French, Spanish, German, etc.).  Unfortunately,
> yesterday when I wrote my original response and had the correct name of
> the company, the mail bounced (see below) and I can't recall the
> details.  Try looking them up in one of the larger trade magazines, such
> as PC Magazine or Computer Shopper - shouldn't be too hard to find.

I took a look at the catalog, and decided that the program wasn't worth
$10.  The translations were absolutely horrible!  For example, an english
sentence of "I'm looking forward to seeing you soon", translated to French
and then through my OWN translation, you'd get something like "I am looking
to be able to soon see you".  I'm not exaggerating (well, maybe a LITTLE
, but hey...).  No person speaking the foreign language would permit such
massacres of their language.  You'd be better off hiring a translator...
I know that programs are very litteral, and without AI, you just can't
get good translations.  I think that the company's name is Selective
Software.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary