[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 4DOS and Windows 3

aochi@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Gary H. Aochi) (02/27/91)

In article <11484@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>
echuang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Y. Chuang) writes:

>Does anyone know what I need to do to get Windows 3 to use 4DOS
>as its DOS shell?  I have 4DOS installed, but when I shell out
>of Win3 I get put into command.com.

Simply use 4dos.com (the on the properties line of your shell icon)
instead of command.com.  I even used a batch file on the properties
line.  4dos is just like command, exit will get you out of it.

Gary
aochi@cory

dor@jaialai.cis.ufl.edu (A Knight in White Satin) (02/27/91)

In article <11484@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> echuang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Y. Chuang) writes:
>Does anyone know what I need to do to get Windows 3 to use 4DOS
>as its DOS shell?  I have 4DOS installed, but when I shell out
>of Win3 I get put into command.com.

Click once on your shell icon to select it.  Now click under "File" and
then "properties."  You will see that it is selected to run command.com...
change this to a 4dos.pif file.  Now create the 4dos.pif file, running
4dos.com -- pass it the /v parameter to make certain memory is handled
correctly.  You're in the 4dos-shell business.

>Thanks,

No problem.  That's what this net is for, isn't it?

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (02/28/91)

echuang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Y. Chuang) writes:

> Does anyone know what I need to do to get Windows 3 to use 4DOS
> as its DOS shell?  I have 4DOS installed, but when I shell out
> of Win3 I get put into command.com.

Jusr for grins, rename 4DOS.COM to COMMAND.COM, making sure you
remove all command.com's from your system.  There MAY be something
in Windows that patches command.com in memory and would cause 4DOS
to hang, but it's unlikely.  Give it a try.

The other thing you can do is make sure comspec is still 4DOS.COM.

--
               halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA