[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC full backup/restore via ftp???

peter@gongolo.SUBLINK.org (Peter Komanns) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb19.122449.7695@intellistor.com>, warner@intellistor.com (Dave Warner) writes:
> I would appreciate pointers to generic programs to package up the contents
> of a PC's hard disk and 'put' the result to a UNIX system via ftp.  A
> corresponding capability to restore is, of course, also necessary.
> I say 'generic' because we have a variety of ftp packages and ethernet
> cards and I would like a common program to distribute to people.
We have tried something like you are searching for using the FTP/TCP
program from FTP software.
It has a command called 'tar' that performs a tar command to/from a
remote magnetic media based on a UNIX machine on the network, of
course connected via TCP/IP.
It works VERY fine and it is very usefull.

        Peter Komanns - SINDATA srl - Vimercate - ITALY
Phone (voice) +39,39,6083733                 (fax)+39,39,60,83,957
SUBLINK:peter@cucciolo BANG:..!yachaya!gongolo!cucciolo!peter