[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wanted: program to preview HP Plots on ibm pc

kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) (02/22/91)

I am looking for a program (source or executable, public domain, shareware
or commercial, all acceptable) to take a file of HPGL (H P Graphic Language)
and preview it on the screen of an ibm pc.

Any leads would be appreciated, however I do not want to use the facilities
in Word Perfect.

Thanks in advance,

--
Chris Kushmerick                                 kciremhsuK sirhC
kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first

G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz (Giovanni Moretti) (02/25/91)

Chris

I've just about finished writing a program to view HPGL programs on the
screen.  "Just about finished" is probably a bit generous - it goes but
many HPGL instructions are missing.  Currently it enables me to view printed
circuit board layouts and works with the graphics output from Quattro-Pro as
well.

It's written in Turbo Pascal and uses the BGI toolbox.  I'm not prepared
to release it in its present state - there are another couple of HPGL
instructions that really have to be added before this could be done.  If
anyone want's a copy (when it's finished) - send me some email.

Cheers
Giovanni

PS. Isn't "Finished" a horrible concept when applied to software :-)

Giovanni Moretti, Consultant       | G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz, Pkt-ZL2BOI@ZL2BFJ
Computer Centre,  Massey University| Ph 64 63 69099 x8398, FAX 64 63 505607
Palmerston North, New Zealand      | QUITTERS NEVER WIN, WINNERS NEVER QUIT

reid@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Reid Trimble) (02/27/91)

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc, edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) writes:
>
> This may meet your needs.  I haven't tried it.
>
> PRINTGL DESCRIPTION
>
> PrintGL is a shareware pen plotter emulator for IBM/DOS systems.
---------------------
I have tried it (Printgl, that is) and it works exactly as advertised.  In
my opinion, well worth the $40 shareware fee.  It's generally much faster
to plot to a file, preview the output on screen and then print the
HPGL file (via printgl) to a laserjet than to simply plot to a plotter in
the first place.

Reid

Wordperfect 5.0 and 5.1 will import HPGL and display it with the
page preview function.  It may not be the ideal solution unless
you want to want to wrap text around the plot and/or print it
on an alternate device, but you may already have it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us