[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Windows 3.0 on PS/2 Mod 70 crashes.

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/27/91)

I have now had 2 of our new PS/2 model 70 machines with 60M IDE drives
crash and trash the hard disk.  Both times it happened, Windows 3.0
was running and nothing fancy was going on.  The first one went back
to the dealer since this situation causes the drive to fail the
IBM diagnostics on the set-up disk.  Both times, something in the
Windows directory (or fat) gets trashed so bad that a format can't
recover at least one sector.  The second time, I reformatted and
reloaded (a couple of bad sectors showed up in the format) and it is
running OK but still fails the customer diag. test on the drive.

1) I am beginning to worry that there is a software bug hiding
   somewhere that will eventually "eat" all my new machines.
   Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2) Of the 9 new machines, all the IDE drives were perfect when new
   (no bad sectors).  Do these machines use an error correcting
   controller such that they should never show any physically bad
   sectors?

I visit both groups on a regular basis but if you have any hard
facts to pass along, mail might be better.  If anything sound turns
up, I will post a summary.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/28/91)

In article <1000@pallas.athenanet.com> kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:

>I have now had 2 of our new PS/2 model 70 machines with 60M IDE drives
>crash and trash the hard disk.  Both times it happened, Windows 3.0
>was running and nothing fancy was going on.  The first one went back
>to the dealer since this situation causes the drive to fail the

I have ps/2 70s and 80s that periodically flake out with win3 but no
serious disk crashes yet.

I talked with someone at microsoft in the winword technical support group
and he said quote:
   'some of our biggest problems are on the PS/2 Model 70' unquote.

hmmmm....is the rift between MS and IBM that bad? just a joke..go blue

Anyway, my symptoms are random system crashes including UAE, C:\ and freeze.
I am not going to pull boards and change settings any longer.  I have done
that several times.  I also cannot reproduce the errors on demand.  It
appears to be either memory, bios, or MCA incompatiblities from win3.

anyway...

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (02/28/91)

     There was a report some time back (2-3 months) that IBM had changed the
PS/2 70 motherboard design, and that Windows 3.0 does not work with the new
motherboard.  Neither Microsoft nor IBM expected a quick fix; perhaps 3.1
will address the problem.
                                                     Dave

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/01/91)

In article <796@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:

>     There was a report some time back (2-3 months) that IBM had changed the
>PS/2 70 motherboard design, and that Windows 3.0 does not work with the new
>motherboard.  Neither Microsoft nor IBM expected a quick fix; perhaps 3.1
>will address the problem.
>                                                     Dave

Thanks to all who responded with posts and mail.  So far, there has been
no solid information but there have been several interesting posibilities.
My dealer finally called back after I left the original post.  They said
that IBM admitted to a "bad batch" of 60M IDE drives used in PS/2s.
They added that IBM would NOT indicate how widespread the problem was.

For the moment I will believe the dealer since they are replacing the
(apparently) damaged drives at no cost.  It is possible that the damage
always showed up in the Windows directory because it was being used the
most.  The other 7 machines have been "burning in" with Windows running
for about a week now with no ill effects.  I have my fingers crossed.

I wonder if the 60M drives are re-conditioned from the original AT?
(No flames, please.  Just kidding!)

I will post additional follow-ups if anything significant shows up.