[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Problems unzipping files after KERMIT

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/01/91)

There seems to be a number of people having this problem. So here's my solution:

uuencode the file before downloading it, then download the uuencoded
version.  When the file is on you pc disk use the PC version of
uudecode (foudn in the start up kit in comp.binaries.ibm.pc) to decode
the file back.  UUencodeing makes the file into a pure text file,
which I can usually download with no problems.

jwm712@unhd.unh.edu (Jonathan W Miner) (03/02/91)

I had this same problem a week ago and used this solution:

  Make sure that kermit is using binary mode.  My host machine
  seemed to default to text mode.  I noticed this only because the
  files seemed to gain a few bytes after downloading.

--
Jonathan Miner        | I don't speak for UNH, and UNH does not
jwm712@unhd.unh.edu   | speak for me!

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Wolf) (03/02/91)

Okay peoples, here's what to do.  From the UNIX prompt, type

%kermit -i -p s -s <filename>

The switches set kermit to binary mode.  Then, you can un-zip the
files when they get to your pc.  Unfortunately, Kermit is rather
slow, so I recommend doing this before you go to sleep.

"I prefer them and us.  It gets rid of excess baggage and lets you
get right down to cases."

Wolf
6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Internet)
6600arac@ucsbuxa.bitnet   (Bitnet)

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (03/02/91)

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:

>There seems to be a number of people having this problem. So here's my solution:

>uuencode the file before downloading it, then download the uuencoded
>version.  When the file is on you pc disk use the PC version of
>uudecode (foudn in the start up kit in comp.binaries.ibm.pc) to decode
>the file back.  UUencodeing makes the file into a pure text file,
>which I can usually download with no problems.

	I have a better solution. Try setting the default download and upload
parameters on both systems to BINARY.  For instance, Procomm and many other
tcom packages allow you to do this.  I used to have this same problem, until
I read the manual.

Craig (mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu)