[net.ham-radio] telephone ringback

lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) (09/25/85)

    Since the phone stuff is deregulated, it seems that there must be a
standardization of several of the telephone functions.  My questi85 15:39:09 GMT
Nf-ID: #R:aero:-43300:prism:7700014:000:1342
Nf-From: prism!matt    Sep 24 10:57:00 1985

> /* Written  4:37 pm  Sep 19, 1985 by pwv@vax1 in prism:net.micro.pc */
>
> > From: sinclair@aero.ARPA (William S. Sinclair)
> > Is there any way we can put pressure on them to improve their service?
>
> I wish.
>
> /* End of text from prism:net.micro.pc */

Sure there is - stop buying their buggy, substandard, virtually
unsupported pro

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/27/85)

>     Since the phone stuff is deregulated, it seems that there must be a
> standardization of several of the telephone functions.  My question
> is,..........is there a common method to have a phone ringback as a ringer
> test.  I have installed several phones for friends lately, and the only way
> to test ringer function is to have them call a friend and explain what is
> going on.  This ringback business used to be a deep dark secret that
> installers would guard with their lives.   Is it still a secret, or is there
> a formula to follow which uses the local phone #? I am in Boston, area code
> 617.  Thanks

In this area there is a set of magic numbers that vary from exchange to
exchange.  The deal is you dial XXX-NNNN where XXX is the magic number
and NNNN is the last four digits of your telephone number.  You then get
a dial tone back.  Flash the switchhook and you get a medium pitched tone,
hang up and the phone will ring.

Interesting side effect.  When I was testing an answering machine, I was
doing the ringback thing alot.  After a whole evening of doing this, my
phone suddenly got flagged "out of order" and I couldn't use it until
the next day when someone at the co reset the line (they still sent someone
out to the house).

-Ron