[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC X servers / backing store

fsg@ucthpx.uct.ac.za (Fred S. Goldstein) (02/19/91)

I have been running some initial tests with two PC X server products:
PC-XSIGHT and TEAMTALK-X ( a repackaged HCl-eXceed Plus ). The client
software I am using is GRAFIT running on an HP 9000/825.

A problem encountered with both products is that if a graphics window
is overlaid ( e.g. by a menu ), the overlaid portion is not restored.
The suppliers of Grafit informed me that the X server implementation
probably did not support backing store  - a requirement for their
package ( or for the HP Starbase/X implementation? ).

I have just received a third test package - XVISION - and the documents
state that it, too, does not support backing store.

Does anyone know of a PC X server product that supports backing store??

--
Fred Goldstein    ( fsg@ucthpx.uct.ac.za )
University of Cape Town

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb19.152725.24673@ucthpx.uct.ac.za> fsg@ucthpx.uct.ac.za (Fred S. Goldstein) writes:
>The suppliers of Grafit informed me that the X server implementation
>probably did not support backing store  - a requirement for their
>package ( or for the HP Starbase/X implementation? ).

(Not the answer you're looking for, I know, but...)

You should tell the authors of Grafit that the program is flawed and
should be fixed.  If it only works with backing store then it's not a
good X client.  IMHO.

Sure, the program is designed to run on a particular workstation, and
they might know that vendor's X has backing store. But what if backing store
becomes exhausted? It can.  And since X is a networked system, then just
because the program's running on the workstation there's no telling what
display device, of the entire range of possible commercial or private
options, is presenting the display.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

russell@spdcc.COM (Tim Russell) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.011210.21219@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <1991Feb19.152725.24673@ucthpx.uct.ac.za> fsg@ucthpx.uct.ac.za (Fred S. Goldstein) writes:
>>The suppliers of Grafit informed me that the X server implementation
>>probably did not support backing store  - a requirement for their
>>package ( or for the HP Starbase/X implementation? ).
>
>(Not the answer you're looking for, I know, but...)
>
>You should tell the authors of Grafit that the program is flawed and
>should be fixed.  If it only works with backing store then it's not a
>good X client.  IMHO.

   In anybody's O, I should hope..  Instead of looking at paying large
sums of money for another client, you should be screaming bloody murder
at the Grafit people for releasing such a shoddy product.  Backing
store fills up, and regardless, you shouldn't be forced into having to
pay more for a system that supports it (especially once AT&T starts
their licensing :-)) simply because they're too lazy to write code for
redrawing.

--
____
\TR/   Tim Russell

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (03/04/91)

In <1991Mar2.011210.21219@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>In article <1991Feb19.152725.24673@ucthpx.uct.ac.za> fsg@ucthpx.uct.ac.za (Fred S. Goldstein) writes:
>>The suppliers of Grafit informed me that the X server implementation
>>probably did not support backing store  - a requirement for their
>>package ( or for the HP Starbase/X implementation? ).

>(Not the answer you're looking for, I know, but...)

>You should tell the authors of Grafit that the program is flawed and
>should be fixed.  If it only works with backing store then it's not a
>good X client.  IMHO.

Entirely correct. You *CANNOT* rely on the server giving you backing store
for a particular window even if the server says it supports backing store.
X11R3 does not have the facility at all.
On a tangent, how long before the X server puts up a dialog box asking
for your credit card number to pay AT&T if you want to use backing store
at all :-(. (AT&T are claiming a patent on the use of backing store in a
windowing system. If you think this is ridiculous, join the League for
Programming Freedom).

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Feb19.152725.24673@ucthpx.uct.ac.za> fsg@ucthpx.uct.ac.za (Fred S. Goldstein) writes:
>A problem encountered with both products is that if a graphics window
>is overlaid ( e.g. by a menu ), the overlaid portion is not restored.
>The suppliers of Grafit informed me that the X server implementation
>probably did not support backing store  - a requirement for their
>package ( or for the HP Starbase/X implementation? ).

Just for your information, what you just described above is not backing
store but save unders.  Backing store works when anything BUT a menu
which obscures another window is moved so the current window is exposed.

>I have just received a third test package - XVISION - and the documents
>state that it, too, does not support backing store.
>
>Does anyone know of a PC X server product that supports backing store??
Yes.  Try PC-Xview from Spectragraphics/Graphics Software Systems.  The
current version is 2.1.  The EGA/VGA version of the server supports
backing store.  The DGIS version doesn't.  According to GSS, PC-Xview 2.2
will support backing store in its DGIS version.  It it due out sometimes
after the end of March.  GSS can be reached at (503)641-2200.  Let me
know if you have any other questions about this server.  It is the best I
have seen so far.  I have PC-Xsight, PC-Xview, X11/AT, and XVision.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |