[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] kermit 3.01

hadden@SRC.Honeywell.COM (George D. Hadden) (01/31/91)

hi, well i finally got around to trying to use this system (moving up
from 2.32/a), and i have a couple of questions:

1) is there by now a newer version?  i have 3.01 and a patch.

2) my meta-characters don't work with this version.  i've tried both
the vt3xx that it comes up with by default and the vt102 that i'm used
to.  i'm using the same mskermit.ini as before (except that i add the
command "patch" to it).  i do a show key for alt-x and see scan code
2349 still mapping to ascii 248 (meta-x).  help!!

thanks in advance,

-geo
---
George D. Hadden, Honeywell Systems and Research Center
       Where "Research" is our middle name!
PHONE:  (612)782-7769    ARPA:   hadden@src.honeywell.com
MAIL:   3660 Technology Drive MN65-2100, Minneapolis, MN 55418
UUCP:   {umn-cs, ems, bthpyd}!srcsip!hadden

esaffle@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Ed Saffle) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.234643.8139@src.honeywell.com> hadden@SRC.Honeywell.COM (George D. Hadden) writes:

>1) is there by now a newer version?  i have 3.01 and a patch.

  I believe that the last time I looked in the kermit archives, I saw a
version  3.02, but I didn't take the time to get it, and I am not sure if it
was truly a public version, or just a beta version.

>2) my meta-characters don't work with this version.  i've tried both

  This I can't help with, I use a 'standard ini file with both 2.32/a and the
patched 3.01.  It works just fine on both versions.  No complaints here.

Ed

jrd@cc.usu.edu (03/05/91)

In article <3327@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, esaffle@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Ed Saffle) writes:
> In article <1991Jan30.234643.8139@src.honeywell.com> hadden@SRC.Honeywell.COM (George D. Hadden) writes:
>>
>>1) is there by now a newer version?  i have 3.01 and a patch.
>>
>   I believe that the last time I looked in the kermit archives, I saw a
> version  3.02, but I didn't take the time to get it, and I am not sure if it
> was truly a public version, or just a beta version.
>>
>>2) my meta-characters don't work with this version.  i've tried both
>
>   This I can't help with, I use a 'standard ini file with both 2.32/a and the
> patched 3.01.  It works just fine on both versions.  No complaints here.
>

> Ed

Fellas,
	First, loss of "meta-characters" most likely means the host (a VAX,
right?) is sending 8-bit controls because Kermit is announcing itself as
a VT300 level terminal but you still have the default SET DISPLAY 7 engaged
(which chops the high bit). Try SET DISPLAY 8.
	Second, the place to find new editions of Kermit is on the Columbia
archive machine: anonymous ftp to watsun.cc.columbia.edu, or Bitnet to
pseudo user KERMSRV on machine CUVMA or CUVMB.
	Then lastly, version 3.10 appears this week. Version 3.02 was strictly
a development number and has now gone away. We are working on the announcment
and other supporting material at this moment (with timeout to read News,
natch).
	Joe D.