[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Electronic Funds Transfer via PC

rg@msel.unh.edu (Roger Gonzalez) (02/19/91)

I recently saw a program advertised that purported to allow you to set
up an EFT worksheet, and then upload it to the Federal Reserve (?).
Perhaps it was just wishful thinking.  I'm very interested in getting
my bill paying out of the check, envelope and 29(!) cent stamp era, and
into the electronic age.  I looked at what was available on Prodigy,
but it was tripe.

Any pointers, hints, shareware, names of places to contact so I can
write my own?

-Roger
--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.150453.1@dev8n.mdcbbs.com> campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) writes:
>In article <1991Feb18.171359.1337@unhd.unh.edu>, rg@msel.unh.edu (Roger Gonzalez) writes:
>>
>> I recently saw a program advertised that purported to allow you to set
>> up an EFT worksheet, and then upload it to the Federal Reserve (?).
>> Perhaps it was just wishful thinking.  I'm very interested in getting
>> my bill paying out of the check, envelope and 29(!) cent stamp era, and
>> into the electronic age.  I looked at what was available on Prodigy,
>> but it was tripe.

>--
>I use Checkfree - unlike the Prodigy banking services, you continue to bank
>with the bank you use now.  It costs about $9/month and you are allowed to
>pay up to 20 bills for this rate - there is an additional charge for more.
>(most people don't go through more than 20 bills).
>20 bills comes to $5.80 in stamps.  So you figure you're paying about an
>extra $3.20 - but it's WELL worth it if you're like me.
>
>If you have/purchase Quicken, it will work with Checkfree.  Checkfree
>handles EFT's for a single checking account.  Quicken is more of a "rounded
>out" home accounting system - tracking multiple accounts (credit cards,
>savings, etc. etc.)
>
>Checkfree is pretty secure (nobody can easily get into your computer and
>start sending themselves your money) and easy to use.

I also use Checkfree.  I've been using Managing Your Money for a number of
years now and like it very much.  It has a very smooth interface to
Checkfree.  Now I only write a few checks (mostly where I'm using them in
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) (02/21/91)

33:  mcdchg comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d:13024 comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc:7654
Nntpstef-H(ch  dev8n
NntpPosteng-

--
I use Checkfree - unlike the Prodigy banking services, you continue to bank
with the bank you use now.  It costs about $9/month and you are allowed to
pay up to 20 bills for this rate - there is an additional charge for more.R(most people don't go through more than 20 bills).
20 bills comes to $5.80 in stamps.  So you figu2e you're paying about an
extra $3.20 - but it's Wave@SL worth it if you're like me.

If you have/purchase Quicken, it will work with Checkfree.  Checkfree
handles EFT's for a single checking account.  Quicken is more of a "rounded
outQhhome accounting system - tracking multipe accounts (credit cards,
savings, etc. etc.)

Checkfree is pretty secure (nobody can easily get into your computer and
start sending themselves your money) and easy to use.

	  In real life
K im Campbell - Electronic Data Syseem!      Us991FebWt:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypreso, CAh       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	         Prodigy:  MPTX77A
 P.S.  If anyone asks,  22et remember, you never saw any of this -- in fact, I
       wasn't even here

davids@cadhcx.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dave Silvers) (02/23/91)

In article <kblH7Zu00VIEE73Ksd@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>Since there is so much talk about EFT ... does anyone know of a way to have
>EFT for a company checking account?  Also, a company that I know wants to be
>able to do EFTs *FROM* customer's checking and/or credit card accounts to
>collect monthly dues; is this possible?  If any of this is possible, how and
>how much will it cost?

It is possible.  That's what Checkfree does.  It deducts $9 every month
from my checking account.  I also have my YMCA monthly dues set up this
way.  With both, I sent them a voided check and my signature giving my
permission to deduct the money from my account.  I guess they set it
up with the bank (I know I didn't).  They did not charge anything.

Dave Silvers

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                  ::                           ::                ::
:: David M. Silvers :: davids@hdw.csd.harris.com :: (305) 973-5259 ::

campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) (02/25/91)

In article <kblH7Zu00VIEE73Ksd@andrew.cmu.edu>, jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
> Since there is so much talk about EFT ... does anyone know of a way to have
> EFT for a company checking account?  Also, a company that I know wants to be
> able to do EFTs *FROM* customer's checking and/or credit card accounts to
> collect monthly dues; is this possible?  If any of this is possible, how and
> how much will it cost?

Checkfree also offers business service in addition to the private service.
Call 800-882-5280 for Checkfree's telemarketing dept.
Regarding your other question... I'ver heard of this being done before, you
can ask Checkfree about it because they do it for Compuserve (they collect
compuserve monthly dues like this - they also handle a lot of the ATM machines
for banks - I know that if I pay bill by deposit into an ATM it's handled
by Checkfree - at least my bank uses them. - they seem to be pretty big)

> On the personal side ... does anyone know how CheckFree compare to Citibank's
> Direct Access service?  My parents currently use Citibank and seems to be
> pretty happy with it.  The only catch was that you must be a Citibank customer.
> I believe Citibank charges $15 per month and there is no limit to the number
> of checks that you can write from your checking account.  However, there is NO
> interface (that I know of) to Managing Your Money or Quicken.  I thinking of
> using EFT myself ... any comments on which I should use?

I looked at the same option.  Citibank was the first service I heard about -
several years back.  But I'm amazed that Citibank can stay in business (good
marketing I guess - I hear their service is just the pits - and they certainly
have the most outrageous rates for everything.  (I have yet to find a bank
that has a higher cost for service charges, etc. interest rates due on credit
cards - than Citibank).
What I DO like about checkfree is that you can keep your own bank account.
Just send them a canceled check or a deposit slip and they'll figure out how
to draw money from you account on the interbank system (you obviously file
some forms to authorize this).

--
Hope the info is useful.

   -Tim

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA
       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	         Prodigy:  MPTX77A
 P.S.  If anyone asks, just remember, you never saw any of this -- in fact, I
       wasn't even here.

mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) (03/03/91)

In article <1x91Feb19.150453.1@dev8n.mdcbbs.com> campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) writes:
>Checkfree is pretty secure (nobody can easily get into your computer and
>start sending themselves your money) and easy to use.

All this talk about CheckFree, but noone says where to go to find out about it!
Is there a number you have to call, or some software you must obtain?  I am
very interested in this service also.  Does anyone have more info than just a
description??

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) (03/05/91)

In article <4067@ryn.mro4.dec.com> zavgren@doowap.mro1.dec.com (John Zavgren) writes:
>seem to remember that the monthly fee was $10.00 per month for up to 20
>checks per month. After 20 checks there is a per
>check charge which was not specified in the article.

That is $9.00 for the first twenty; $3.00 per ten payments or portion thereof
after the first twenty.

From a nice ad on page 110 of the 12 March PC Mag.  I'm thinking about it.
Being naturally lazy and forgetful, this will be just one less thing I have
to worry about!  :-)

Boy, are we letting computers take over every aspect of our lives??

NAAAAAAH!

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III