[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Modem Protector at Phone Extensions

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (03/05/91)

Hi,

I am getting more than a little tired of my wife and child
picking up the phone in the middle of my modem connection.
It seems to me there was "some device" that could detect
the modem carrier and would disable the rest of the phone
extensions in the house while the modem was in use.  What
would such a device be called and where would I get one?

Frank
frank@odetics.com or uunet!odetics!frank

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.004153.13129@odetics.com>
frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) writes:
>It seems to me there was "some device" that could detect
>the modem carrier and would disable the rest of the phone
>extensions in the house while the modem was in use.  What
>would such a device be called and where would I get one?

Radio Shack sells a gizmo for about $7.50 which will take care of this.

The device senses loop voltage, and if the voltage is below a threshold
(indicating a phone is offhook) then the instrument connected to this device
is not allowed to sieze the phone line.

Applications:

     To kick off the answering machine when you pick up any phone in the
     house, connect the answering machine through one of these boxes.

     To protect your modem or FAX, connect _each phone_ through a box, and
     connect the modem/FAX directly to the line.  Notice that this requires
     a box for every phone in the house.  Also be aware that in this configur-
     ation, you will not be able to "conference" two phones (like when every-
     one wants to talk to Grandma).

I don't know of something to connect to the _modem_ to protect it.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?