[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] HP setup difficulty

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) (03/02/91)

Every time I turn on my HP Vectra QS/20, it tells me there's a
configuration error.  Checking it, there never is.  I know that
the manual says this is a sign that the battery pack needs
replacing, but I bought it new 14 months ago, and the time/date
is still correct.  Any idea what else would cause this problem?
After the memory check, it prints a number, but I don't remember
what it is (09xx, don't know the x's).  I don't have the BIOS
book to look that error up.  Suggestions?  Thanks,

Mike

dmerrill@hpdtczb.HP.COM (David Merrill) (03/05/91)

/ hpdtczb:comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc / mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) /  5:18 pm  Mar  1, 1991 /
Every time I turn on my HP Vectra QS/20, it tells me there's a
configuration error.  Checking it, there never is.  I know that
the manual says this is a sign that the battery pack needs
replacing, but I bought it new 14 months ago, and the time/date
is still correct.  Any idea what else would cause this problem?
After the memory check, it prints a number, but I don't remember
what it is (09xx, don't know the x's).  I don't have the BIOS
book to look that error up.  Suggestions?  Thanks,

Mike
----------

I looked it up in my Vectra RS/ES manual, and I didn't see anything for
09xx.  I _did_ see 9xxx, which is the floppy disk subsystem.  I think
9001 is drive A:, 9002 is B:, etc.  Try running SETUP.EXE to be sure that
CMOS knows what floppy drive(s) are installed.  Note that there is a flag
set for "Invalid Configuration Information" and sometimes you can fix
the problem by just starting up SETUP and exiting immediately.

I hope this helps.

Dave Merrill

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (03/05/91)

>Every time I turn on my HP Vectra QS/20, it tells me there's a
>configuration error.  Checking it, there never is.  I know that
>the manual says this is a sign that the battery pack needs
>replacing, but I bought it new 14 months ago, and the time/date
>is still correct.  Any idea what else would cause this problem?
>After the memory check, it prints a number, but I don't remember
>what it is (09xx, don't know the x's).  I don't have the BIOS
>book to look that error up.  Suggestions?  Thanks,

There is no 09xx POST code for the Vectras. There is a 9xxx POST code
that means something is wrong with your floppy drives.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) (03/06/91)

The number was 0903.  It appears right after the memory scan if it's
a cold boot, or first thing if it's warm.  I don't recall ever seeing
it before, so I must assume that it has something to do with the setup
error.

Mike

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) (03/06/91)

I just wrote that the number was 0903.  Well, I lied!  Maybe it's the
drugs, I dunno.  But the number is (and I'm sure this time) 9303.  The
rest of my previous posting (when) is correct.  I'd cancel it, but I
don't know how to do that with nn....

Mike Stangel
Any and all help especially appreciated!

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (03/08/91)

.I just wrote that the number was 0903.  Well, I lied!  Maybe it's the
.drugs, I dunno.  But the number is (and I'm sure this time) 9303.  The
.rest of my previous posting (when) is correct.  I'd cancel it, but I
.don't know how to do that with nn....
.Mike Stangel

This means error while recalibrating floppy drive D: Do you have 4 floppies
on your system? POST seems to think so.

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) (03/09/91)

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) writes:

>  asks me about my drives...

I have a 1.2MB floppy as A, a 1.44MB floppy as B, a type 44 40MB hard
disk, which is partitioned into C and D.  I never had this problem
before.  When I run setup, all the info is correct, including the
statement that I have no D drive.  Thanks to all the HP folks, for
this continuing help--better than any support I've seen!

Mike Stangel