[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Original AT Memory

dhoelzer@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David S Hoelzer) (02/28/91)

	I'm looking for someone with information about the original 6 MHz AT
Memory.  Now on the XT's, there was a way to upgrade the board to 640..  I'm
looking for someone with info on the same thing for the 512k AT motherboard.
This is the full-sized baby...

   I'd appreciate any responses..

dhoelzer@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu   | If we shadows have offended, Think but this
paladin!dhoelzer@uunet.uu.net    | and all is mended, That you have but slum-
dhoelzer@mole.ai.mit.edu         | bered here Whilst these shadows did appear.

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (03/05/91)

dhoelzer@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David S Hoelzer) writes:
|> 	I'm looking for someone with information about the original 6 MHz AT
|> Memory.  Now on the XT's, there was a way to upgrade the board to 640..  I'm
|> looking for someone with info on the same thing for the 512k AT motherboard.
|> This is the full-sized baby...

me too!  i need a 128k memory expansion for a PC/AT, and these seem to be
(rightfully) a scarce item these days ... while my original AT has 1Mb in it,
only 512k is visible to DOS (the other 512k is extended <??> memory, used as
a ram diskette :>).

any clues would be welcome.

--
# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) (03/06/91)

In article <5422@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:

   dhoelzer@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David S Hoelzer) writes:
|> I'm looking for someone with information about the original 6 MHz AT
|> Memory.  Now on the XT's, there was a way to upgrade the board to 640..  I'm
|> looking for someone with info on the same thing for the 512k AT motherboard.
|> This is the full-sized baby...

  me too!  i need a 128k memory expansion for a PC/AT, and these seem to be
  (rightfully) a scarce item these days ... while my original AT has 1Mb in it,
  only 512k is visible to DOS (the other 512k is extended <??> memory, used as
  a ram diskette :>).

  any clues would be welcome.

BocaRAM sells a card called the TophAT, which is a drop-in 128K memory
expansion for 512K AT's.  I don't remember the price exactly, but it
wasn't too bad..

If memory serves me right, the original AT used some 128 kilobit
piggy-backed memorychips that might be hard to come by today. (I think
it was something like two 64 kilobit chips soldered together.  Anybody
out there have some sure knowledge on this ??)

On the other hand, an EMS 4.0 card can usually be set up to backfill
memory up tp 640K, giving you the effect you want and EMS memory
as a bonus. These cards run about USD 100-120 unpopulated.  Beware,
though if you intend to keep these cards when upgrading to a 386, that
some of them fail at higher processor- or bus-speeds.  Two cards known
to flunk this test are the BocaRAM AT (not the Plus), and an AST
Premium Advantage. Also, some of the older boards do not do EMS 4.0
in hardware, but only emulate it with software.  These boards cannot
be used for multitasking under DesqView/Windows-286. (The BocaRAM AT
fails this test, too.)

    -Terje

thoger@solan.unit.no       |                 Institute of Physical Chemistry
THOGER AT NORUNIT.BITNET   | Div. of Computer Assisted Instrumental Analysis

angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) (03/07/91)

|> I'm looking for someone with information about the original 6 MHz AT
|> Memory.  Now on the XT's, there was a way to upgrade the board to 640..  I'm
|> looking for someone with info on the same thing for the 512k AT motherboard.
|> This is the full-sized baby...

The original AT's use piggy-backed 128Kbit drams modules (for 256K bit/module). These
chips are not pin compatable with standard 256K bit drams. The easyist way to upgrade
either a 256K or 512K AT is with any noumer of 3rd party memmory boards. I use an AST
Advantage board, and others here use the AST Rampage board.

Bob Angelini    angelini@apollo.hp.com

phil@cs.mcgill.ca (Philip LOCONG) (03/08/91)

Many people mention the piggy back chips and say it's better to use
an expansion card. I don't think there is a choice, the 6Mhz ATs have
room for 512k on the MB (well, mine does) and you have to fill it up,
otherwise, you can't backfill. Then you can use an expansion card to get
640k. Let's start a long technical thread !

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/10/91)

In article <5038bdcd.20b6d> angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) writes:
>|> I'm looking for someone with information about the original 6 MHz AT
>|> Memory.  Now on the XT's, there was a way to upgrade the board to 640..

   Sorry, this is true only of the 256-640 system board. This would have been
the last production run, and only accounted for a very small (1%) of the ibm
xt population.  I have only seen one of these out the several hundred ibm's
I've cracked open.

>|> looking for someone with info on the same thing for the 512k AT motherb
>|> This is the full-sized baby...

>The original AT's use piggy-backed 128Kbit drams modules
>(for 256K bit/module). These chips are not pin compatable with standard 256K
>bit drams. The easyist way to upgrade either a 256K or 512K AT is with any
>... 3rd party memmory boards.

1. Did IBM ever make a 'baby AT', I've only seen 'the full-sized baby'.
2. Did IBM ever make a 256K AT motherboard, I've only seen 512K motherboards
   of which 256K probably could have been a standard config.
3. The motherboard has 4 banks of sockets, so if they were piggy-backed 128K
   chips for 256K bit/module, this would be 1 MB on the motherboard  (yes
   the 286 is 16 bit, but there are 2 extra parity chips then, or the
    measurement is still 8 bit words, or the documentation itself calls it
    512, logically then, theses are piggy backed 64K drams forming 128K
    drams.  It is possible to reverse 'engineer' these 128K drams from 64K
   drams by jumping pins, but the resulting kludge is too big to fit under
   many cards.
4. IBM made a 512K to 640K memory expansion card I have seen several adds for
   available today, used.  It used the same chips, and the chips are also
    available used today.  The cost of either of these makes it more cost
   effective to use a 3rd party board.
5. MANY 3rd party boards do NOT allow addressing back into the 512k to 640K
   region.  The feature is called back filling or split (range) addressing
   generally.  I'd say that MOST 'NAME BRAND' (intel/inboard/inboard plus,
   or ast for example) will provide this feature.  However, thie will result
   in a amount of extended/expanded memory that is a 'odd' amount.
Given the cost of addin boards, and the resulting performance gains from
512 to 640K, I believe that you may be better off letting the addin board
provide more extended/expanded memory and NOT ffilling the 512 to 640 region.
That is of course, if you don;t have a application that requires more base
memory...
al
--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu